SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's Winter, I'm working on my diorama. Building trees.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's Winter, I'm working on my diorama. Building trees. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
One thing it's difficult to have too many of on a diorama is trees. There are ready-made trees that are quick and easy to plant in bulk at the sacrifice of realism. Great for dense planting in the background, not so much for up close.

Hand-built trees can be made in a variety of ways, my favorite is to start with a wire armature. Multi-strand copper works great, solder the trunk then divide out limbs, branches and twigs as needed, soldering as you go. These will be birch trees which typically go right from trunk to branches.

Once I have the armature shaped to my satisfaction, it is coated with a mix of plaster and diluted glue and painted with some black oil paint to resemble a paper-bark birch.

Some tufts of teased poly fiber are glued to the branches as twigs.

Cover the fiber with a liberal dose of hairspray as an adhesive and sprinkle the paper leaves over it. Overspray the leaves with another coat to lock things in place.

Larger trees can be made using the same steps, just start with a larger trunk and divide trunk into limbs, limbs into branches and branches into twigs. This one took about 6 hours spread over a couple of days to make. The birch trees were done in a morning.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Interesting, great winter project too, that's a quite a collection of roach clips you have there Big Grin

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Wow, PH; I appreciate your patience! Very nice scenery!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing!
Do you run trains?

Posts: 662 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:
Amazing!
Do you run trains?

I used to, but found that I enjoyed doing scenery more than running trains, so I went to a static diorama.

I've posted a video of it here before, but I can repost if anyone is interested.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Those are amazing! The detail in the bark and the foliage is impressive!

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Very nice work.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Interesting, great winter project too, that's a quite a collection of roach clips you have there Big Grin

Whistles tunelessly, looks at ceiling...

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Those are amazing! The detail in the bark and the foliage is impressive!

Thanks!

I've wanted to add a clump or three to my diorama for a while, but wasn't sure how to replicate the look. Found a video while surfing that covered it. The "secret" is the plaster/glue combination for coating the trunk. Plain plaster just flakes off, the glue gives it a bit of flexibility.

Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Very nice job, ending up with a much better look and a much cheaper coverage on your diorama than trying to do it with prepackaged trees from Woodland Scenics or the like.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2106 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post