SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Members Fluent In French?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Members Fluent In French? Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted
If I wanted to call somebody a Wiggle Worm, or Wiggly Worm as a proper noun, what would it be in French? Male.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I think Blaze is married to a French woman....

but wouldn’t it be ”ver wiggle”?

Sorry but it’s been 31 years since high school and we had a real live French girl in our class, and she was tres belle

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
Le ver tortillant.

(Who isn’t terribly fluent anymore but who does have a degree in the subject)

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8791 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Jallen would have known. Frown

Posts: 11376 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I agree with Milliron.
It sounds quite weird as an expression.

Vers gigotant / gigoteur, also works.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thing is: A wiggle worm has a specific meaning in American English. A word-for-word translation, transliteration, into French probably not the same meaning. So the question is: Does the OP want a translation or transliteration? Sounds like he wants the former.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Try

Se déhancher ver

Ver = worm

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31419 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thing is: A wiggle worm has a specific meaning in American English. A word-for-word translation, transliteration, into French probably not the same meaning. So the question is: Does the OP want a translation or transliteration? Sounds like he wants the former.

New dog's name on AKC registration. My 3 year old wanted to call him Wiggle Worm as his English name, which was obviously vetoed. Gunner will be what he goes by, but I figured we could work in the name she wanted somehow.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'll ask my wife tomorrow if there is an equivalent French version of Wiggle Worm and how it might be written as a proper noun.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I am a French speaker from the age of three, but I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to translate that. What does it mean in English? Is it a sexual expression? An insult? A gangster term?What?

Posts: 11313 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
What does it mean in English? Is it a sexual expression? An insult? A gangster term?What?

Big Grin

Usually a young child that won't stop moving. Children's toys and songs have also been modeled around it.

www.zykansafe.com

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I am a French speaker from the age of three, but I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to translate that. What does it mean in English? Is it a sexual expression? An insult? A gangster term?What?

wiggle worm

That's the problem to which I was earlier referring. Transliterated it might be "ver wiggle." But that's probably meaningless in French.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
So in France they'd likely just say "un ver."

"Bouge comme un ver."

But there may also be another expression more commonly used but doesn't compare to a worm. My wife actually can't think of it right now, but she's reaching out to her family for any ideas. Her mom says they just say: c'est un petit ver de terre. So basically a little worm. "It's a little worm."

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
So in France they'd likely just say "un ver."

"Bouge comme un ver."

But there may also be another expression more commonly used but doesn't compare to a worm. My wife actually can't think of it right now, but she's reaching out to her family for any ideas.

Bouger = to fidget. Booger the dog Smile just don't ask Tac for another alliteration of bouger...

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
What does it mean in English? Is it a sexual expression? An insult? A gangster term?What?

Big Grin

Usually a young child that won't stop moving. Children's toys and songs have also been modeled around it.
Puppies - and kittens - sometimes like to twist and wriggle out of your grasp when you hold them.

Posts: 27914 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
How about something in English: Saint Charles Sir (or Miss) Wiggles

Or Mister (or Miss) Wiggles of Saint Charles

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Un ver inquiet.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post