SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Misuse of “begs the question.”
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Misuse of “begs the question.” Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
That expression refers to the logical fallacy of making a statement that includes an unproved assumption.

For example, “Gun violence is an epidemic and therefore we will make it illegal to have ammunition shipped directly from a vendor to a private individual,” could be something a legislator might propose. The fallacy of that proposal is that it assumes without proof that making it harder to purchase ammunition will reduce the number of crimes committed with guns.
Another example would be, “The wood spirits don’t want you to eat mushrooms.” The question that’s begged by that statement is the unproved assumption that wood spirits exist that would object to our eating mushrooms.
“Putting a hat on a bed is bad luck,” begs the question of whether (assumes) there are supernatural forces or entities that would know if I put a hat on a bed, would object to my putting a hat on a bed, and would have the power to cause me bad luck if they knew and objected.

What begging the question doesn’t refer to is a question that may be logically prompted or raised by a statement:
Me: “I wish we would increase the size of our navy.”
He: “That begs the question of how we would pay for a larger navy.”
Me: “No, it doesn’t. It may prompt the question of how to pay for it, but it doesn’t beg (assume) anything to be true without proof.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That begs the question “shouldn’t this be in the ‘pitch your bitch’ section?”

Wink

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Well, no, it doesn’t, but your statement could be seen as yet another example of begging a question with its assumption that my post was a bitch rather than a benign lesson about a somewhat commonly misused expression. Wink

So thanks. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Well, no, it doesn’t, but your statement could be seen as yet another example of begging a question with its assumption that my post was a bitch rather than a benign lesson about a somewhat commonly misused expression. Wink

So thanks. Smile

Excellent response! Big Grin

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
This discussion -- it's like déjà vu all over again.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I'll bet you're a hoot at parties

I don't use that phrase so I'm safe

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
This discussion -- it's like déjà vu all over again.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I like this post.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ME TOO!!^^^^^^

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
monkey don't beg, monkey abides.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yep, "prompts" or "raises" the question, not begs the question (usually).

I like to explain begging the question as circular logic. E.g. "9mm is the most widespread caliber because of how popular it is." That statement says absolutely nothing, but sounds convincing to the careless listener.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Maybe now at age >75 I finally understand it.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I’ll continue to use it the wrong way. Don’t ask me why. Don’t beg me to stop.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I mentioned this on a YouTube video of a Christian channel I subscribe to. They actually stopped using “begs the question”. I was pleased.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Prompts" and "begs" are interchangeable.

There are several uses. It's acceptable to use "begs the question" in place of "prompts the question," or "raises the question."

Aristotles petito principii is only one use of the phrase, and in the modern vernacular, far less used than the more common use, to segue one comment into another.

For a more thorough discussion on the subject, Miriam Webster has a page: https://www.merriam-webster.co...lay/beg-the-question

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Very well put. Logical, clearly explained, excellent examples.

However, it begs the question (assumes) you know what you are talking about. Wink

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Then there is the cat version of begging the question...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
We all (should) know that the meanings of words and expressions evolve and therefore change with time and usage—sometimes markedly. The several older references I have that list the stages of the firearms autoloading cycle define “feeding” as what the magazine does, and despite the term “feed ramp” the stage that describes the cartridge’s being pushed into the chamber is … “chambering.” At least a couple of the references that describe the stages those ways are SIG armorer manuals that I was given over the years. The most recent one, however, now describes “feeding” as what used to be chambering. I was mildly disturbed by that heresy, but cannot deny that that’s what happens with language.

And therefore if enough people have no formal training on logical fallacies and misunderstand “begging the question” as meaning prompting or raising a question, and if enough of them use it that way, then of course the latter will become an acceptable usage—and perhaps the only usage. Any dictionary that hopes to remain relevant as meanings and usages change will of course reflect how people use words today and not only in some distant past. We tend to forget that definitions are based on how people use words and expressions, regardless of how corrupted they may be from the original meanings; i.e., dictionary definitions are based on what is rather than what people (even me) believe they should be. I can, though, argue what should be.

I will point out, though, that “prompting” can be expressed by that word and at least a couple of others. The original meaning (or the one previously accepted by educated people), however, cannot be expressed in such a succinct way that I can think of. Widespread use of the expression to mean “prompt” or “raise” a question therefore weakens the value of the original meaning and tends to help make even more people ignorant of its (previous) proper meaning. I’m constantly reminded of how firearms related words and terms are corrupted; two of my favorites are magwell to refer to a funnel design and the abomination of “dope” being tortured into meaning “data on previous engagement.” (Ridiculous!)

(None of that makes this a bitch, though. Wink )

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I’ll continue to use it the wrong way. Don’t ask me why. Don’t beg me to stop.

Just as long as you don't mind that we point out your misuse each time you do it Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The misuse of "begs the question" is rampant, in the media, as well as fiction and non-fiction works. Methinks you are fighting a losing battle.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post