New
Find
Notify
Tools

SOS Toast Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I haven’t had this for years. Will have to make some.

https://www.thecountrycook.net...amy-hamburger-gravy/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9467 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Mmmm...

I like SOS. Quick, easy, and stick to your ribs. I like to spice it up some with cayenne and/or other spices though.

Just like biscuits and gravy, except...it's not. Smile

Posts: 20600 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't mind a batch myself. Haven't had it in years.

I don't remember EVER having bad chow in the Navy, and I've eaten at Navy, Air Force and Army chow halls.

Some better than others, obviously, but all pretty good. Probably the best was in Iceland. Main base chow hall had eggs to order for breakfast, made a KILLER western omelet. Also the best sunny-side-up eggs I've ever eaten. Done just right, not slimy, not over-cooked.

The mini-chow hall out at the Ops site (Rockville, for anybody that's been stationed at Kef) did a fish fry on Fridays that was world class. Michelin 5 star level. Run by two Icelandic guys and they flat KNEW how to cook fish!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15522 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I used to love it back in the day when made with "chipped beef."

Can't find the stuff these days sadly so it's ground pork and/or hamburger for SOS.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I used to make loads of this every morning as a cook in the US Army. My secret was to NOT follow the recipe (against regs actually) and not make the roux in with the ground beef. That would make a gray-ish SOS. If you made a separate white sauce (flour or cornstarch thickened milk basically) and mixed that in at the end, it made a much better looking and tasting SOS. A little powered beef soup base and Worcestershire sauce also helped.

What's funny is I rarely ate the stuff when I was in the Army, probably just from being so sick of making it, but nowadays I look for that stuff when eating out at a diner and love it.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can't find the stuff these days

Stouffers Creamed Chipped Beef in the freezer section.

Not as good as home made, but certainly convenient.

Posts: 6789 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16204 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:

This ^^^^^^. I keep it in my freezer all the time. I put it over a baked potato, and add a salad.....yum!!

Posts: 6717 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
that stuff in the first post is "sausage gravy and biscuits".

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4590 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:

This ^^^^^^. I keep it in my freezer all the time. I put it over a baked potato, and add a salad.....yum!!

I tried the Stouffers stuff a year or three ago and found it to be meh.

As for the Hormel chipped beef it isn't stocked locally anywhere. Have to order it through Walmart or Amazon (the later's prices are outrageous).

quote:
Originally posted by roarindan:
that stuff in the first post is "sausage gravy and biscuits".

Agreed!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Took me numerous tries to get it right but this is my recipe:

CREAMED DRIED BEEF

1 stick of butter (¼ lb)
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 cans of evaporated milk
1 ½ cups milk
½ tsp. White pepper
1 4.5 oz jar of dried beef, torn into small pieces

Melt butter over med low heat. Add flour and stir until flour is absorbed by the butter and has no lumps. Add evaporated milk, milk and pepper. Increase heat to med and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture starts to thicken. Add dried beef and stir allowing it to thicken to desired consistency (will thicken more as it cools).

Serve over toast.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
This is all you need. Pretty damn good

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2992 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If I have leftover chuck roast, I'll sometimes make SOS. I like it, but my wife isn't crazy about it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
This is what my Grandfather called Shit On a Shingle, right?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
This is what my Grandfather called Shit On a Shingle, right?

The chipped beef version, yes. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
Yup WWII slang for chipped beaf on toast. Favorite of my father who served in the Pacific with the Marines. Mom made it all the time for him (and me)

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2992 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Planning to have it tomorrow night for dinner; 40 years ago tomorrow was my first day in Navy Hospital Corps School. Seems fitting. In our area, we also have it available in refrigerated pouches, made by Esskay. Not bad, but needs a little bit more pepper or paprika for a bit of zing.

Posts: 3404 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Wife fixes chip beef a couple time a month, sometimes for breakfast also for dinner. We have it on toast and or biscuits. SOS is made with ground beef (hamburger) at least when I would have it in the chow hall. I prefer chip beef over SOS.

Posts: 1970 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I grew up with a taste for that SOS on regular basis. Sometimes Dad just didn't care for the meat portion, whatever it might be.

Mom's version of "Midnight Stew" for those times when Dad's belly was too sour for anything else & he was going to be headed out at 3am for another day skinning cat:

thick slab of butter on burnt toast in a soup bowl with a 1950s era can this stuff. Seemed to work for him.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cherokee2u:
Yup WWII slang for chipped beaf on toast. Favorite of my father who served in the Pacific with the Marines. Mom made it all the time for him (and me)

Back then it was necessary to make a little go a long way.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post