Find
Notify
Tools

SOS Toast Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Mom used to make something similar with peas. She would take the bread and push it into a muffin pan and then toast it in the oven, making little toast cups for the gravy.

As I recall it was pretty darned tasty.

Posts: 20600 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
the portion is generous, enough to cover 2 hard boiled eggs and 2 slices of toast.
Not sure about the hard boiled eggs (probably not bad) but I do like it over scrambled or fried eggs.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31446 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I’ll pass. Bad shipboard memories. SOS was the perfect description.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Okay, with some judicious seasoning the Stouffers is passable. Bought more at the Commissary this morning as they charge only $2.00 per 11 oz packet.

Also got help in finding some Hormel chipped beef in a jar. Wasn't on a shelf anywhere I thought it would be which explains why I didn't know they even carried it. Commissary gets $3.40 for a 4.5 oz jar which is cheaper than the 2.5 oz for $2.28 Walmart gets on line.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
How hungry are ya?
Repackage in vac seal bags and stick in freezer, cheaper than the supermarket stuff. Tasty.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CFOCQS

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Man I haven’t had this in years. It was a staple in my Grandmother’s house.

Had one of my flight engineers eat a bad batch of it one day when we left Mildenhall. The poor guy was stuck in that dinky 141 shitter for hours going across the pond.

Gonna have to try the Stouffer’s pre-made stuff.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1784 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
It must be made in 50 gallon pots to have the proper zestful flavor of true SOS

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4373 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Okay, with some judicious seasoning the Stouffers is passable. Bought more at the Commissary this morning as they charge only $2.00 per 11 oz packet.

Also got help in finding some Hormel chipped beef in a jar. Wasn't on a shelf anywhere I thought it would be which explains why I didn't know they even carried it. Commissary gets $3.40 for a 4.5 oz jar which is cheaper than the 2.5 oz for $2.28 Walmart gets on line.

How did the Hormel chipped beef compare to the Stouffer’s?

Did you use this recipe?

http://www.hormelfoodsrecipes....d-beef-on-toast.aspx

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9467 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Did you use this recipe?

http://www.hormelfoodsrecipes....d-beef-on-toast.aspx

1/2 tsp of pepper? Eek Confused

When it comes to things like SOS, it's best to add the SOS to the pepper rather than adding pepper to the SOS. Big Grin

Posts: 20600 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

How did the Hormel chipped beef compare to the Stouffer’s?

Sorry but I haven't opened the Hormel jar yet.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Wow, my Mom made that when I was growing up (1960's).
But she never gave it a name. She just told us that it was a recipe she got from her mother. I now know why she never gave it a name...

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
My experience with SOS in the field in the ARMY:

Monday morning - Gravy with meat served over toast.
Tuesday morning - Monday's leftovers with more gravy added served over toast.
Wednesday morning - Tuesday's leftovers with more gravy added served over toast.
Thursday morning - Wednesday's leftovers with more gravy added served over toast.
Friday morning - Thursday's leftovers with more water added served over toast.

I always liked Mondays, but there was no meat in it by Wednesday, and it was nearly gravy colored water by Friday, and the whole experience put me off of SOS for years.

Nowadays I stick with the occasional Sausage Gravy and Homemade Biscuits instead.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I should have added to my comment about not having tried making SOS with the Hormel chipped beef in a jar.

Folks have commented that black pepper enhances the Stouffer's SOS. It does, but I also have tried other things to include Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Folks have commented that black pepper enhances the Stouffer's SOS. It does, but I also have tried other things to include Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning. Big Grin

I bake a nice baking potato, then open it up and apply Cajun seasoning to the potato. Then, pour the Stouffer's SOS over that with some coarse ground black pepper on top. Make a nice tossed salad and pita bread. Your tongue will knock out your eye teeth with this!!!

Posts: 6717 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had it many of times in the '60 era. Loved it, thanks for the memories, thinks I will scrounge some up and relive them.

Just to add, it was always dried chipped beef.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post