SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Therapy OK’d for Chronic Pain
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Therapy OK’d for Chronic Pain Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/979612

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved Abbott Laboratories’ new Proclaim Plus spinal cord stimulation (SCS) system featuring FlexBurst360 therapy for the treatment of patients with chronic pain, the company announced today.

The "next generation" of its proprietary BurstDR stimulation, FlexBurst360 therapy, provides pain coverage across up to six areas of the trunk and limbs, with programming that can be adjusted as a patient's individual therapeutic needs evolve, the manufacturer noted.

"Using FlexBurst360 therapy on the Proclaim Plus system, physicians can identify the lowest effective dose of stimulation for each patient and adapt it based on evolving pain needs," the company said in a news release.

The system also has therapy settings accessed using a mobile device.

Through their mobile device, patients can access the manufacturer's NeuroSphere Virtual Clinic, which allows them to communicate with their provider and receive remote adjustments to their therapeutic settings as needed.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
You have to log in to read the whole article, but quick question, is this some kind of implant?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Yes.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^Thank you. What then is the mechanism for pain control? Electroneuro stimulation of some kind? Drug metering?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
electrical stimulation.

Designed to fit within a person's life, the Proclaim Plus SCS system is recharge-free with a battery that can last up to 10 years.^ It can be used with Abbott's NeuroSphere™ Virtual Clinic connected care technology, which allows a person to both communicate with a physician through secure in-app video chat and remotely receive stimulation settings in real time regardless of location.*

Above from Abbott

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^Thanks again. Sounds like it's sort of an internal TENS unit(?)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
Yep. But way more expensive.

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I have a LOT of professional experience with SCS therapy. Trials, psych screening, implantation, and in 90% of cases (again, in my personal experience), removal within a year for various reasons.

I’m skeptical this one will work so much better.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
I agree

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

I’m skeptical this one will work so much better.

-Rob

Everyone else seems unimpressed as well... my Abbott stock is still in the dumper Roll Eyes

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Sounds very expensive.

I have nerve damage in my back, I've been on opiates for 16 years now. I wonder if this would work for me?

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
The cost which is upwards of 15 thousand is often covered by insurance.{This is for the older SCS devices}. The success is less for those who have had long term chronic pain. Talk to your doctor. You will have to be detoxed as you probably already know.

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
You will have to be detoxed as you probably already know.

No, I didnt know that. How do they expect a person to be without any kind of relief until the procedure?

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They would taper the dose or put you on suboxone.
NOTE:

"Our research findings underscore a potential negative impact of opioids plus sedative medications on SCS outcomes," Odonkor said. "It may be prudent for clinicians to have a conversation with their patients about why it may be important to wean them off sedative medications and opioids prior to attempting neuromodulation therapies."

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
They would taper the dose or put you on suboxone.

If they day ever comes where I no longer need oxycodone, I don't think I will need suboxone. Even though I've been on it for 16 years I refused to increase my dose over the years (10-325 6 x a day).

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I have a competitor’s SCS… Boston Scientific. I cannot say it’s been earth shattering for my chronic back pain. I fractured L4 in a fall years ago and have had multiple surgeries/procedures as a result. No disabilities thank God. There was no detoxing for me and insurance covered it. I still had my deductible, etc. I wish it had been a game changer, but not in my case.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post