SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mattis: $28 million wasted on Afghan uniforms 'must not be seen as inconsequential'
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mattis: $28 million wasted on Afghan uniforms 'must not be seen as inconsequential' Login/Join 
posted
https://www.armytimes.com/news...-as-inconsequential/

WASHINGTON – Defense Secretary Jim Mattis scolded top defense officials for a “complacent” mode of thinking that allowed $28 million to be wasted on Afghan army uniforms that were inappropriate for fighting in Afghanistan.

The Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction exposed the waste in June when it found that the Pentagon’s decision to procure a dark forest-patterned uniform for the Afghan army was incongruous with the country’s largely desert environment. The Combined Security Transition Command-Afghanistan selected the dark uniform in 2008, SIGAR found, without determining whether it was right for Afghanistan. DoD had purchased more than 1.3 million of these uniforms as of June, SIGAR reported.

Moreso, the SIGAR found, DoD bypassed its own digital patterns it owned and contracted a firm whose proprietary rights over the forest pattern significantly increased the cost of the shirt and pants purchases.

Mattis used SIGAR’s findings to highlight what he said he saw as wasteful complacency.

“Buying uniforms for our Afghan partners, and doing so in a way that may have wasted tens of millions of taxpayer dollars over a ten-year period, must not be seen as inconsequential,” Mattis said in his memo, addressed to the under secretaries for acquisition, policy and finance. Those departments head the Afghanistan Resource Oversight Council, a group responsible for decisions on procurement to support the Afghan National Security Forces.

“I highlight this report because it reveals two truths about our line of work. [First] our every action contributes to our larger mission,” Mattis said. Second, “our procurement decisions have a lasting impact on the larger defense budget.”

“Cavalier or casually acquiescent decisions to spend taxpayer dollars in an ineffective and wasteful manner are not to recur,” Mattis said.

Posts: 12688 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Wonder who the contractor was that got that contract?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:

Hyperstealth

Afghanistan adopted their "Spec4ce Forest" pattern. (Despite the fact that a mere 2.1% of Afghanistan consists of forests.)

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
“Cavalier or casually acquiescent decisions to spend taxpayer dollars in an ineffective and wasteful manner are not to recur,” Mattis said.

Hell yes!

I'd like to see managers take that tone in the private sector just to watch the snowflakes melt.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Nice.

I hope that sort of scrutiny regarding budgets continues, in earnest, from here on out.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
Hundreds of billions of dollars are "wasted" annually in thousands of instances and we're supposed to accept that it's all due to incompetence. Most are naive enough to believe it.

So, not only did they pick an inappropriate camo pattern, they paid a company royalties for their forest pattern when the government owns its own pattern that it developed for tens of millions.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Consequences for someone in federal government?

Who does Mattis think he is now?

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's even sadder, the Spec4ce patterns are probably the very best visual and near IR patterns there are (according to camo trials) and they certainly have both arid and universal versions that could have been chosen instead. What a waste.

Not nearly as bad as the $2+ Billion the Army spent on the ACU (UCP) fiasco. We had the "Scorpion"/OCP pattern developed with Natick and Crye back in 2004, could have went to that from the start.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

One of Obama's or Billary's buddies, I am sure!!!!!1

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cant help but wonder if the Afgans will ever be able to buy their own uniforms... Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Are those Afghanies zonked on opium?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5965 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Why are we buying their damn uniforms anyways?

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
The gold bracelet helps the camouflage

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

One of Obama's or Billary's buddies, I am sure!!!!!1

Michelle's Brother, perhaps...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8358 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
The irony is that beyond gross color matching camouflage is almost pointless on an actual battl field. We'd do just as well with khaki or OD green fatigues as any cammo pattern

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Side note:
I wonder why ATACS AU hasn't caught on more.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Coming soon to an army-navy surplus store near you.

"DoD had purchased more than 1.3 million of these uniforms as of June, SIGAR reported."

That number is about the total strength of active duty US Army.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Why do we invest our treasure arming Islam, anywhere, anytime?

Posts: 15895 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wonder who got the kickback.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is where I would start the congressional probe. It sort of smells like a deal didn't go through and they needed to dump a lot of product some where, making a tidy profit is a bonus.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37969 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post