SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My brother is moving to Idaho Falls, any members in Idaho?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My brother is moving to Idaho Falls, any members in Idaho? Login/Join 
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted
My brother just took a job in the Idaho Falls area and will be relocating there in the next month or so. Any advice from members would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I was there back in January, moved our flight from Boise to I.F as we were coming from the West Yellowstone area.
Cold, snow, ice, upside down truck on the freeway, long long delay at the airport.

That's about the extent of my knowledge on I.F. Razz

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
I have had a number of pleasant times in ID Falls... Friendly folks and a lot of beautiful areas nearby.

Because it is about 4800' elevation it DOES have a winter! Folks who live there are prepared for it and actually embrace it for the outdoor recreation that is possible then.

Will he be working for the Feds at Arco?

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
My wife and I like it there. I'm just waiting for the right job to open up at INL and we'll be up there as well.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I lived there for 3 years while in the Navy. I moved back in 1975 and spent another 2 years there before being transferred to Montana. We still have friends there and visit a few times a year.

I always really loved the area. Great hunting, fishing, boating. You have the desert on the west side and the mountains on the east side.

Winters can be a bitch but they are shorter than our winters. Spring, summer and fall are outstanding. Homes are very reasonable as well.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4238 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I lived there for 3 years while in the Navy.
Mike

Curious as what type of Naval activities would be in Idaho.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Reactors_Facility

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have said great area especially if one likes the outdoors. There are some impressive mountains within a reasonable drive from Idaho Falls such as 12,665 foot Mt Borah.

Idaho and the U.S. Navy?
Lake Pend Oreille

Farragut State Park

Silent

Posts: 1028 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Reactors_Facility

Thank you. I learned something today.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed32hall
posted Hide Post
I spent 5 years there when I was in the Navy at the Naval Reactor Facilities.
Good people, lots of outdoor activities, 4 seasons of weather. It has definitely grown in the last 20 years. Like every city in America though, drugs are a big issue, especially Meth. I still know quite a few people there, and they will never leave.
The my .02 cents. Ed

Sigs - Yes, I would like more German made Sigs

Posts: 2652 | Location: Formerly NW WA, now in SE TN | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
I live 80 miles south of Idaho Falls, a little higher up in the mountains. IF is on the Snake River Plain, within view of mountain ranges to the east and northwest.

Winter on the Snake River Plain, and therefore in IF, is a little milder than in the nearby mountains. But IF is within easy driving distance of some really GREAT, world class, skiing and other winter recreation. You're also easy driving distance from Yellowstone NP, Teton NP, and just a little farther away is Glacier NP and its Canadian sister park.

Also, in this region we have some of the best hunting and fishing in the world -- no exaggeration.

The camping in the wilderness areas, like Copper Basin, is outstanding.

The people are honest, hard working, and reliable. More than half the population is Mormon. Bear in mind that practicing Mormons do most of their recreational activities within their church congregations; you won't rub elbows with them at the local bar. Some mistake this for unfriendliness, but it is NOT. These folks will give you the shirt off their back if you need it, but won't find out you're in need if the only place you look for help is a place that they don't go to.

The whole state is generally politically conservative, but at Idaho Falls you are just north of one of three significant concentrations of politically leftist "liberals" in the state. The one you're closest to is in Pocatello, home of Idaho State University. The other two are in Sun Valley, which is the home of many well-to-do left coast transplants, and Moscow, home of the University of Idaho.

Best wishes for your move!

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the information. My brother is meeting with a realtor this Thursday. He's looking forward to the move.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Only been to Idaho Falls once, way back when I was in High School. We went over there from Boise for a game (football or basketball, don't recall which). At 6:00 on a Friday evening, the whole place was SHUT DOWN. Even the fast food joints were closed.

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post