SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What’s wrong with my Master Forge gas grill?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s wrong with my Master Forge gas grill? Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
Really low heat. Won’t cook at all. I first noticed this when I dropped on a couple of ribeyes. I went back several minutes later and the tops were still cool. Grill was on high, all 4 burners. I have tried two different t bottles, same thing. Next thing I figured was throwing a regulator at it.
Your thoughts, SIGForum Hive Mind?

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
What color is the flame coming out of the burners?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23299 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the regulator as you suggested. Also check if any critters are blocking the orifice/air inlets.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4582 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Gas lines to burners is occluded. Check for spider nest.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Flame is blue. All burners are uniform in flame color and height. Which is why I’m thinking regulator. I’ve already cleaned out the individual burners.
BTW...this thing is pretty cheap. It was a Father’s Day gift about 5 years ago. The parts you can see are stainless, the parts that get hot are the thinnest steel imaginable. I’ve already had to make new feflectors/dissipators for it. And the clips holding the far ends of the burners have just disappeared.
And this thing has either been inside my shop or under my porch it’s whole life.

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
You might have opened the valve on the tank too fast. Close the tank valve and let the gas vent out of the grill. Shut off the grill valve.

Barely crack open the tank valve, then open it very slowly. Open the grill valve and light as normal.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Make sure you open the tank valve first and then turn on the burners. If not, what you are describing will happen. I embarrassingly learned this the hard way.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
You might have opened the valve on the tank too fast. Close the tank valve and let the gas vent out of the grill. Shut off the grill valve.

Barely crack open the tank valve, then open it very slowly. Open the grill valve and light as normal.

This. Happened recently to my Stok gas grill. Would not get hot at all, but normally I can sear like a madman on this thing.

I shut it down and left it until the next time I wanted to use it.

I opened the valve slowly, then waited one full minute before lighting.

There is some kind of safety in the gas regulator hose that may have gotten activated.

Posts: 33839 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post