SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Appliance Question: Dishwasher recommendation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appliance Question: Dishwasher recommendation Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
I need to buy a dishwasher and a stackable washer and dryer.

I’m going to buy a speedqueen stackable washer and dryer, unless there’s a better option.

Should I get front load or top load?

Any suggestions on dishwashers?

Apparently, I also need a new stove and microwave.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aglifter,

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Everyone I know who got a front loader regretted it later.

I've got a 6 year old GE dishwasher that's going strong.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not Speed Queens, but our Whirlpool Cabrios have been great.
Top load washer, front load dryer.

Still need to get around to tearing down the dryer to troubleshoot the clean vent light.
Got a guide from Appliance Brad a couple months ago, and just haven't had the time to dig into it.

Our dishwasher is an LG. Came with the house & wouldn't have been my choice.
Stay far away from Frigidaire. At least for the dishwasher. Really didn't like ours in out old house.
I'd be looking at Whirlpool or KitchenAid if I needed a new DW right now.
Have also heard good about Miele & Bosch.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just bought a stackable Whirlpool washer and dryer.

They are front-loaded.

Not sure how you would put clothes in the dryer if it was not front-loaded

Have a Meile dishwasher, not had a problem with any of them.

Have to check the lights to see if the dishwasher is running. It is quiet.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ My grandmother had a stacked W/D, the washer was on the bottom & was a top load, it had a pretty small capacity, but she lives alone so it wasn't an issue.

It had an angled cutout between the W/D so you could load the washer.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just make sure she's clean and will do a
good job. If possible and your wife doesn't
object___ about 23 years old would be a good choice.
If you take good care of her she'll last years.

Poli Viejo

Posts: 10 | Registered: September 03, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Have also heard good about Miele & Bosch.
Do they have the same issues as LG and Samsung in terms of parts and service (not being from the US)?

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a Bosch at our other house. Contractors crushed the water line under the sink. Got on the Bosch 800 line, talked to a person from one of the Carolinas, and for a very reasonable price and a few days wait I had the part.

I would buy another, it worked very good.

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
I used to have a Kenmore dishwasher that sounded like a freight train. Eek

Got a KitchenAid dishwasher about 10 years ago that runs about 1 decibel above absolute silence. It works great and it's very quiet. Smile

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, Appliance Brad recommended a Maytag dishwasher. I don't remember the model number, but I do remember that Costco had a similar one on sale, I think the only difference was the door handle.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
For dishwashers, Whirlpool WDT750SAKZ Maytag MDB4949SKZ or KitchenAid KUDS30IXSS. All built in Ohio

Stacked laundry is all front load. Laundry centers (all in one units) are top load. Buy the separate units which will be front laod. Buy the Speed Queen and you will "buy once, cry once" . Whirlpool and Maytag front load washers are good. Speed Queen is as good as it gets

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Washer/dryer: I prefer top-load. Too many problems with seals on front-load.

Dishwasher: After 6 or 8 over the years I have settled on Bosch for excellent performance and ultra-quiet operation.

Appliances in general: I buy in the upper middle range of pricing. Never the highest priced, never the low-end products. With today's costs for parts and service work they are all throw-aways; the only difference is how many years before the breakdown.

Also, the extended warranties are complete rip-offs. Just about any defect in materials or workmanship will surface in the first year, and everything else will be classified as ordinary wear and tear.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
We’ve got Bosch for the dishwasher and Speed Queen Top Loader Washer (the Classic that has a rotating agitator) mated with a Speed Queen gas dryer.

We’re happy.

Had the Bosch forever (13 years or more). Still going strong, quiet and good as new.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
I wold not recommend front load washers because- #1 the water pools at the bottom; #2 the water never ever empties. I have two Speed Queens that are eight years young and going strong. I managed and apartment complex years ago and all of the washer/dryers were Speed Queens, and never broke down in the five years I was there. Cheers.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
1. Have had front load clothes washer and dryer for several years with no problems at all.

2. Have had several different brands of dishwashers and Bosch is by far the best we've ever had. Moved about 3 years ago into a different home and I'm convinced my wife wants the current dishwasher to fail so we can get another Bosch. Smile

Posts: 1987 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've always had Whirlpool everything and been pretty darned satisfied. We bought new appliances a couple yers ago and asked here before buying and most of the responses were for Whirlpool.

No regrets!

Whoops, forgot that I bought a Kitchen Aid dishwasher maybe 15 years ago-my wife was gone out of town, my old one gave out, and I couldn't find a Whirlpool so I bought this one. It, too, has been perfect.

So Whirlpool everything for us and a Kitchen Aid dishwasher.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
When we redid our kitchen years ago we got a Milié. It was pricy, but worth it in my opinion. It’s handled everything we’ve thrown at it. I can’t believe some of the baked on stuff it takes care of.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
One of the best tips I got was to run the hot water in the kitchen sink before running the dishwasher. Todays washers use so little water, it doesn’t have a chance to get really hot.

Our Bosch cleans even better now. That, and jet dry. I’m not crazy about using a rinse aid, but I understand it’s critical for drying.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
If you can afford Speed Queen, do it.
Top load. I have never had a front loader that I thought “I’m so glad I skipped the top loader!” Even my wife came on board and disavowed the front loading pieces of shit.

As far as dishwashers, I have a Kitchenaid KDFE204KPSO, and I couldn’t be happier. It’s silent. It’s so quiet I have opened it while running more than once.

When we moved into the current home, I was able to get the range I really wanted, within reason. I wanted a Wolf or Viking, but my wife said no when she saw the price. I was able to get the LG LDG4313. I have never used the top oven. I have used the top oven’s broiler a few times and I am quite happy.
I use the bottom (convection) oven all the time. It is a true convection with the burner in the back and it just circulates hot air. (Think air fryer). It’s fantastic. I would trade it for a Wolf or Viking, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything else.

As far as a microwave, it nukes burritos and that’s about it, and only when I’m in a hurry.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post