SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    $1000 watch?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$1000 watch? Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
My son is graduating from college this spring and as much as I would love to buy him a Rolex I can’t come anywhere near that. He’s worked very hard, does not carry any school loans and has a job waiting for him in Columbus Ohio. Can I get him a decent watch for $1000 or a little over that. Thanks. Edited to add, someone asked about his degree. He’s getting a degree in finance and is considering a MBA. He’s mentioned in the past that he would like a nice watch.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: techguy,

Posts: 1784 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'm not a watch guy like many on here, so to me, a "decent" watch can be had for less than a couple of hundred dollars.

Q

Posts: 27621 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
There are many decent watch brands that have that in your price range. Tissot, Hamilton, and Marathon for a little more. I've had my eye on a Tissot Seastar, but so far haven't been able to part with the money.

Posts: 7651 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Hamilton

Posts: 10046 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Yes, $1,000 is a very nice budget and excellent watches are available with that budget.

A call or E-mail to our own David Truong may help.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36898 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Lot of nice watches in that price range, but the main question is, what is his style or what would he like. Dressy, diver, etc...

Posts: 3790 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, $1000 will easily get you into a watch that is several steps above "decent". (Great watches can be had for as low as $100-$500, in fact.)

Exact brand and model is going to depend on what features you're looking for. But some good options for widely available brands to start looking at in the $500-$1000 realm include:
Tissot
Bulova
Hamilton
or a nicer Seiko

However, as much as I hate to say it since I like mechanical watches... unless you know that your son also likes mechanical watches, it might be better to get him some flavor of smart watch. He'd be more apt to wear it Otherwise, the nice watch you get him is going to sit in a drawer while he sports an Apple Watch, or similar. Mechanical watches just aren't all that popular with young adults these days.

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I don’t have much to add. Very good points above. Solid suggestions. I’d look at the Hamilton Khaki line of field watches, specifically. Classic and not polarizing as far as taste.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
In that price range I've bought very nice watches from Marathon, Tissot, Hamilton and Christopher Ward and been very pleased with all of them. The Marathon GSAR has gone up again and is now closer to $1500. The Wards I have hit well above their price range in fit and finish.

Honestly though, unless you know he is a watch guy I'd stick to something like a Seiko or even an Apple Watch for well under that budget. There is nothing at all wrong with Seiko. My work watch was a Seiko Monster for years and that thing is still running. I've got a Seiko Diver that is over 25 years old, never been serviced, and still runs within about 40 seconds a day. We've clearly entered abuse territory with that watch, but since servicing it would involve completely replacing the movement anyway I'm curios to see how long it will live.

I love watches. I love mechanical watches specifically. Sadly though not everyone shares that interest. Most younger folks today check the time by pulling their phone out.

Posts: 2659 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hamilton(I have a few and love them)
Oris(don't have one but would like one)
Christopher Ward....nice stuff

I have a Longines Hydroconquest...love it and came in at around $900 on Jomashop.com

$1000 can get you a really nice piece(or two)

Posts: 724 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
This is my son’s high school graduation gift: Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic. He’s graduating with a college AA degree at the same time.

I like this Ball Trainmaster as well.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Absolutely but it kinda seems like a waste to me. How about a $300 watch and $700 for something else in his wardrobe such as slacks, button up shirts, boots or some Allen Edmonds shoes?

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Might be a good idea to ask him if he’s interested in wearing a watch. Lots of young men aren’t, for various reasons.

Posts: 27181 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased my son a Hamilton King Khaki when he graduated college. He loves it and wears it often as a staff Accountant.

Posts: 40 | Registered: September 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
If you live near a nice watch boutique I’d take him to find out what his taste is in watches and then surprise him later on.

You can get a very nice watch with that budget.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Definitely
NOT Banned
Picture of teombe
posted Hide Post
I’d also add some of the cheaper Nomos and Sinn watches to that list

Posts: 2047 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: February 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Dave Truong. I’ll edit to add my father is a watch and clock collector, so I kind of know whereof I speak when it comes to watches (or I can find out).
I think Dave will direct you to an excellent choice/heirloom quality for that kind of coin.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5506 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ Definitely! Call Dave first.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16014 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
What is his major/degree and career plan?

Relevant since it may inform whether there are better options at that price point for now, that he will not just appreciate but be able to enjoy in 5-20 years down the road.

IOW, politely, a $1K watch now may not be as relevant in 5 years to an attorney/doctor/etc. as some other gift in that or similar price range. No that he might not appreciate it just as much, but I think part of a key gift like this is considering the recipient as much as the giver.

The questions of whether he even cares about a watch are also relevant and well phrased. I'd not want to gift something that was used and appreciated, but not actually desirable to recipient.

Of course if you are set on a watch the suggestions here are solid.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I lean toward thinner watches like a Raymond Weil, which is in your budget...thinking about getting my son one, but...

Your son might like an Series 9 Apple watch which run about $700 in stainless.

I'd also defer to Dave Truong

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14252 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post