SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    $1000 watch?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$1000 watch? Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Alpina, Hamilton, Longines, Cristopher Ward, Fredrique Constant, Oris, Zodiac.

Check Jomashop or Hodinkee.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34420 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
If you live near a nice watch boutique I’d take him to find out what his taste is in watches and then surprise him later on.

You can get a very nice watch with that budget.

Best plan - I would never buy a watch for somebody else in the hope that it suited them.

The only watch I've ever owned that I didn't buy was a Rolex DSSD presented to me by a company for whom I have worked very hard for a number of years. They's noticed that I wore a different diver-style every day for a month and made the assumption that I might like what was then Rolex's premier diver.

They were right. I'm wearing it for my birthday pizza later today.

Posts: 11444 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a big Marathon fan:

https://windycitywatchcollector.com/

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8548 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Here's another vote for Hamilton! You'll get him a lot of watch for $1,000.00 or a bit over. Alpina and Christopher Ward has some good offerings too. I love my Oris (Pro Pilot TLP) watch, but I think most of their watches might be over your limit.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10268 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
A watch is a great graduation gift. It is something he will have for the rest of his life. My mom gave me a Rolex Submariner when I graduated management, many years ago.

Definitely look at Christopher Ward. They sell direct to the consumer and have a very honest and transparent pricing structure. You get a lot of watch for your money. If they followed the traditional retail model they would be double or triple in price. They are high quality, Swiss made pieces. Outside of the emotional attachment, I actually like my Tridents over my Submariner. Definitely keeps bette time. My favorites are the C60 Trident Pro and the C63 Sealander GMT.

Pro tip: Order in GBP. That removes the VAT and you can save a lot of money.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2430 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would add Ball to the list as well as Vaer. A Sinn 556 RS could be found used for $1K- the poor mans explorer

Posts: 198 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Sinn.

Look at Chrono24, let others take the depreciation, get more for your dollar.

Posts: 2844 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
If he is looking for a dress watch, I bought this Longines for my son several years ago after he graduated. He has really enjoyed it:

With the discount from an authorized dealer, I got it for about $1300 (white dial):

https://www.longines.com/en-us...ritage-l4-795-4-78-2

A couple of years before, I bought my other son this Ball Legend for roughly the same price, after discount. He has enjoyed his for a number of years as well (The white dial with the leather strap):

https://www.ballwatch.com/glob...d-s1j-be---2999.html

If he is looking for more of a tool watch, both Longines and Ball make excellent models there too. Also, the other recommendations for Zodiac, Marathon, Sinn, Tissot, Hamilton are very good as well.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ptb351:
Hamilton(I have a few and love them)
Oris(don't have one but would like one)
Christopher Ward....nice stuff

I have a Longines Hydroconquest...love it and came in at around $900 on Jomashop.com

$1000 can get you a really nice piece(or two)

I can vouch for the hydro conquest. Right around your price point, looks good no matter the occasion, and I’ve had no issues with mine for the 10 years I’ve owned it.

Posts: 751 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Different thought, but what does he really like to do/what were “father/son” activities growing up?

Maybe get him a “good” g shock etc meant for that, and say a Timex American Documents, Apple Watch etc for work.

Maybe a Longines VHP?

Full metal square or Casio oak g shock? The Casio oak might be pushing it for suit and tie wear but my “office work” watch is a full metal square. (Mine is over your budget but I have the others, and they are nice watches. I just find Ti more comfortable than steel in the heat.)

I’m trying to think of what he will still wear, at times, when he’s 50.

Dad gave my brother and I watches related to sailing.

Posts: 5929 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:
quote:
Originally posted by ptb351:
Hamilton(I have a few and love them)
Oris(don't have one but would like one)
Christopher Ward....nice stuff

I have a Longines Hydroconquest...love it and came in at around $900 on Jomashop.com

$1000 can get you a really nice piece(or two)

I can vouch for the hydro conquest. Right around your price point, looks good no matter the occasion, and I’ve had no issues with mine for the 10 years I’ve owned it.

I have one as well and it is a very nice watch. I still prefer my Omega Seamaster Professional but that is out of your stated price range.

Posts: 6738 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Advice from an irredeemable watch guy, and parent.

Get him an investment account with $1k in it and a good book on investing of your choice. I am a watch guy, and I will not be getting my kids a watch for graduating. They aren't watch guys/girls. Most young people aren't. My first "real" watch, I bought in 1997. I valued it most because I made that happen. What was inconceivable as a child, I'd made real. If my dad had given me a watch, I'm not even sure I'd be a watch guy myself.

That said, there are many very good watches for $1k. If you really want it to be a watch, maybe let him pick it out. They vary so much in styles/designs.

Posts: 11433 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does he know or care anything about mechanical watches? I ask because that’s what a lot of the suggestions are or will be, and I’ve had friends of friends receive mechanical watches as gifts, and not being watch people, get frustrated at the idiosyncrasies, the accuracy (“Why is my watch a minute off from a week ago?”), and the service costs.

If he is okay with quartz, I’d take a long look at Seiko Astron and Casio Oceanus lines. These are JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) watches that are solar-powered quartz, and depending on the model, offer different types of syncing for great accuracy (radio control, Bluetooth, or GPS).

They have great finishing (good for his field), great accuracy, low maintenance, etc. Essentially set and forget. They look good and are reliable. Think a nice Acura instead of a restored ‘70s muscle car.

Examples are Casio Oceanus OCW-T200 (three-hander), Casio Oceanus OCW-T4000 (second time zone and chronograph), Seiko Astron SSJ005, and Seiko Astron SBXY003.

If he does like mechanical watches, I’d take a look at Christopher Ward, Mido, Tissot, Hamilton, etc.

Posts: 386 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post