SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice oN new Mini computer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice oN new Mini computer Login/Join 
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted
The Mrs laptop is getting old (10 yr old), and its time for a new one. She mostly surfs a little and gets on Facebook and Pinterest. She does save a LOT of pictures. Is it worth it to buy a mini-computer and use our monitor and keyboard. Or is it better to go out and drop a few $$ and buy a ready to go laptop? Thanks in advance.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Get a tablet and use cloud storage for the photos.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2387 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Before you make a decision, look at Dell refurbished laptops. They have some very good deals and they are warrantied.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:

This. My choice is an iPad.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:

This. My choice is an iPad.
Maybe an appropriate question to ask the Op before recommending something with a completely different form factor and operating system is, would his wife be open to learning something else to use, or does she want another laptop? The answer to that question should drive our responses.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
IPad with 128GB to 1TB of space, cloud storage, backup. Get the full size.

There isnt't really much you can do with a computer that you can't do on an IPad. Plus, the Ipad has a lightning port that plugs into your TV, a built in camera, and can be had to use as a phone. Also, it is more portable than your mini PC, can use a keyboard, Apple Pencil, and lightning to USB memory stick.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
IPad Pro & cloud storage. Happy together...

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't trade my 27" high def monitor for all the tablets at Costco if one device is all I could have.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can always get a Mac TV and use Airplay with the iPad.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
You could also consider a Chromebook and store the photos in the cloud. Similar form-factor to a laptop, touch screens are available if you want it.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Does she ever take the laptop anywhere or does she only use it at the same place.

If she never uses the laptop as a mobile device then a mini computer will work just fine for her.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3852 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
We have 4 iPads and I have a Win 10 tablet. None of them will replace a computer for me, ever. I like a full size keyboard with a numeric keypad, a mouse and a nice 24"-27" screen. Even for just surfing the net. My kids all have laptops now as well and have abandoned there iPads for everything except listening to music and watching videos, so it's not just me being stuck in my ways.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As you can see everybody likes different things. Ipads are wonderful to take and store photos and provide a seamless backup to your Apple phone. Reading books is a pleasure. I suggest you visit a store with your wife and try hands on with both and see what she likes.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apple makes a lot of light weight computers that you would love, Their iPads are also very nice. i have the 2018 edition and i recommend it. you should check out their website.

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Wayne, IN. | Registered: February 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If you are considering anything from Apple, be sure to check out their refurbished stock on their website.

www.apple.com, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and there is a link to "Refurbished and Clearance." Absolutely first-rate, with the same warranty as new retail, at a good discount.

I understand that there is also a 10% discount from Apple for military, whether active or veteran.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post