SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which is proper: “Shop local” or “Shop locally”?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which is proper: “Shop local” or “Shop locally”? Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I just assumed it was an expression coined by someone who was grammatically challenged. Smile

I was discussing the question with an English major friend, and it was interesting to me that “local” just seemed wrong to both of us without any conscious analysis. As I told her, English teachers did have some effect on some of us after all.

Well then, here's another one you could discuss with her: Just do it.

Posts: 10975 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I suspect "shop local" is actually based on (or, more likely, improperly analogized from) "buy local" ("buy American", vel sim), which is more grammatically correct, since buy is a transitive verb and therefore local, in that phrase, is fine as a substantive adjective, rather than an adverb.

While the typical misuse of an adverb seems reasonable, I think the existence of a very similar phrase within the same domain (commerce) was the origin.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
If it is meant as an adverb, it is 'locally'.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
I think the existence of a very similar phrase within the same domain (commerce) was the origin.

I knew it was just a matter of posing the question on the forum to get an answer from a true authority. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I think you could consider "local" as a noun. You know, person, place or thing, in which case Shop Local is perfectly acceptable.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
vel sim

Well, I learned a new phrase today.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
I think you could consider "local" as a noun. You know, person, place or thing, in which case Shop Local is perfectly acceptable.

No. The word local is not a noun, it is an adjective.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "ly"wouldn't fit on the bumper sticker.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Apple didn't help anything with their grammatically challenged "Think Different" ad campaign.
Ungrammatical ads go way back: "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should" is an example ("like" should have been "as", for those not woke to the grammar).

I am also annoyed by ungrammatical ads, because they are remembered and people learn to emulate them, just spreading the disease.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

How about "My friend Joe is a local." "Local" is a noun there.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
"Winston tastes good like a cigarette should" is an example ("like" should have been "as", for those not woke to the grammar).

Smile
I was thinking of that very ad and the controversy surrounding it when I was drafting this thread.

quote:
"Local" is a noun there.

Although like some of the comments here have alluded to, in that usage “local” is understood to be short for “a local resident,” and in that full context it’s an adjective.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
^^ A "substantive adjective", e.g. "the Good, the Bad and the Ugly" or "Steal from the rich and give to the poor."

A common feature in most Indo-European languages.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

How about "My friend Joe is a local." "Local" is a noun there.

flashguy

I was suggesting "local" was a place, which still seems logical to me, but yeah, same as an
English Pub or a Union, as in the Plumber's local.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Shop bigly. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work for a small, family-owned business & when they 1st jumped on this bandwagon, we were expected to answer our phones with "Thank you for shopping local." I refused to do so & stayed with my usual professional wording as I found it irritating that they were not actually shopping with us yet. I get what the business was trying to do but it just seemed so awkward.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post