SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ACURA TLX owners: Thoughts on purchase?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ACURA TLX owners: Thoughts on purchase? Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted
ACURA TLX owners: Thoughts on purchase?

I've owned 3 Acura TL's over the years. The biggest issue has been a weak transmission. But, other than that, they've been great.

My wife now wants a TLX. Thoughts?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24133 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience to offer, but Sarah offers a nice mechanical review:

It being a Honda product, I could be tempted to have a look at a Type-S. Not surprisingly, no dealer around me has one.

God bless America.

Posts: 13506 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My TL was a 2000, so not a reference.

I believe the V6 TLX is still a J-series, so still a timing belt engine.
It's a nice looking car, looks great on the road.

Mediocre reviews on the TypeS, though. Doesn't seem to be the performance many were expecting.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15342 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Mine had the 'weak transmission' but I 3x3'd every 30,000 miles. Went over to 91 octane, did all of the services. When I traded it at 171k miles and 14 years old, the engine was smoother and quieter than a high-end sewing machine.

I'd never hesitate to buy anything by Honda or Acura, especially a new one. Possibly in a few years I'll gift my SIL and her daughters a Honda CR-V or Acura RDX [after I've run up 1/2 or 3/4 of its warranty period].

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mine had the 'weak transmission' but I 3x3'd every 30,000 miles.

Yep. That's really important. Many people don't keep up with those tranny fluid changes.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24133 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
What's a 3x3?

God bless America.

Posts: 13506 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ Transmission fluid change. 3 quarts, 3X. If you drain and fill, you only get 3 quarts out at a time... so to do it completely, you have to do it 3 times.

-rduckwor

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Mine had the 'weak transmission' but I 3x3'd every 30,000 miles.

Yep. That's really important. Many people don't keep up with those tranny fluid changes.

After my first 3x3 change I started doing one drain and 3 new quarts in every oil change. Never had a problem with my 2001 that way. Although I did buy it used and it had some warranty transmission work done.

I loved the TL and if I was looking at a four door sedan today the TLX would be at the top of the list if cost wasn’t an issue.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I test drove a basic TLX and the Type S before buying the car I have now, and the transmission was definitely holding it back. The engine makes plenty of power but it always felt like you had to fight to get it to go.

Posts: 3663 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^ Transmission fluid change. 3 quarts, 3X. If you drain and fill, you only get 3 quarts out at a time... so to do it completely, you have to do it 3 times.

So, the transmission holds 9 quarts? Confused

God bless America.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
What about a flush and fill, hooking up to the cooler lines to a flush machine, and systemically get all the old fluid out and new fluid in? Is that effective?

quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Have done the complete drain and flush every 25k miles beginning at 75k on the odometer. A BG transmission flush was used and if done every 25k
BG has a warranty if the trans does fail paying 2k to assist replacement.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1088 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
What about a flush and fill, hooking up to the cooler lines to a flush machine, and systemically get all the old fluid out and new fluid in? Is that effective?

quote:

I have read from multiple sources NOT to flush the transmission on a Honda and instead just to drain and fill. I had a 2001 Honda where a shop flushed the transmisson and it was never the same after that, where it was fine before the flush. At that time Honda said to due transmisison service at 100,000 miles however that has changed and our 2014 has transmisisin service every 40,000 miles I believe per codes that flash on dash when service interval is coming up.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
After my first 3x3 change I started doing one drain and 3 new quarts in every oil change.
Yes, after a year or so that is also what I did. But didn't want to confuse the uninitiated.

"Failure of the third gear clutch pack" I hear, on certain models. A power flush is the quick path to a $3800 rebuilt transmission on early 2000 H5 transmissions.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I worked for Acura, in service, before we moved south.

I would recommend any Acura. The TLX will not blow the doors off of everything on the road, but it is sound and fun to drive.

Bob
The NSXs were also fun to drive :-)

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Any thoughts/comments on the 3.5 or 3.6 6 cylinder v. the 4 cyl.?

-rduckwor

I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
The 4s are what's in the RDXs and is a great motor. That little tubo does it's job well.
It is still relatively new though. No long term data.

The 3.5s have had major issues with oil consumption. Acura has stepped up and has been rebuilding the problem engines.

The 3.6s, I believe, have replaced the 3.5s. Issues resolved.

One caveat, I was a driver for the dealership, not a tech.

Nice cars, indeed, but not the best in class.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
So, the transmission holds 9 quarts? Confused

Not necessarily. The trick is getting the entire volume exchanged without removing the transmission. Hence, drain 3 quarts, add 3 quarts, drive around (get the fluid exchanged throughout the trans and torque converter), repeat two more times.

I did this Saturday on my daughter's 2009 Fit. Drain 2.6 quarts, add 2.6, drive a few miles (hitting all the gears), repeat. I actually did 2.5, 2.5, 2.5 and 2.0 quarts. There's a logarithmic equation that will determine how many flushes to achieve a certain percentage of fresh ATF.

P229

Posts: 3833 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
The 4s are what's in the RDXs and is a great motor. That little tubo does it's job well.
It is still relatively new though. No long term data.

The 3.5s have had major issues with oil consumption. Acura has stepped up and has been rebuilding the problem engines.

The 3.6s, I believe, have replaced the 3.5s. Issues resolved.

One caveat, I was a driver for the dealership, not a tech.

Nice cars, indeed, but not the best in class.

Bob

quote:
quote:

Any thoughts/comments on the 3.5 or 3.6 6 cylinder v. the 4 cyl.?

IIRC, the 1st gen TLX had the J35 (3.5 V6) and K24 (2.4 I4) for engine options

The current TLX uses the K20 (2.0 turbo I4) or J30 (3.0 turbo V6)

I believe the majority of the oil consumption issues were with the J37 3.7 V6 from about 09-14, and with the 1.5T in the CRV (oil dilution).

Haven't heard anything about oil consumption with the J35, but I haven't kept up with the newer Acura vehicles recently.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15342 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The Honda / Acura transmission and transfer case and axle lubricants are formulated for function, not durability. Friction modifiers (a component of such lubricants) are by nature short-lived, compared to base oil. Following the Honda / Acura schedule is optimum.

On various vehicles, I have flushed and refilled using our ATF machine. I have drained and refilled (the thread 3 x 3 method). I prefer the 3 x 3 method.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post