SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Frech/ surface water drain advice on new product
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frech/ surface water drain advice on new product Login/Join 
posted
I need to install a surface drain to help with a soggy yard. I came across a product called HydroBlox at the local home and garden show. Basically this is a recycled product that has similar dimensions to a 2x10 board.

The claim is you do not need any gravel or pipe covering/sleeve. You only need a trencher to cut a 3 in wide trench. The block has micro pores that allow water to pass though but block dirt. It never clogs.

It is a little pricey at $7 ft. but will save me time in labor and minimal damage to my yard. Homedepot sells a premade drain pipe that has a sleeve and packing peanut type fill around the pipe for $5 ft.

Im pretty much sold on the idea. I just want to see if there is anything im missing or problems that could arise?

hydroblox

http://www.hydroblox.com/

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
No idea. Since it seems to be a very new product, you may not know if it will clog over time or not.

I did the corrugated pipe with sleeve and it's been working good for about 15 years now...

If they would promise to replace if it clogged, I might give it a try...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty cool, and effective. Wonder how it handles high volumes of water.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I've just dug trenches and filled them with stone and covered them up with 3-4" of dirt. They definitely work and are several years old.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
We have just re-built all of our outside drains, as a result of recent local record rainfall, and subsequent water coming into our basement. IE: into MY room. You don't want to know.

We had to take out all previous exterior drains (circa-1948) and replace with new catch-basins and perimeter drains.

Do not underestimate the power of un-fettered H2O.

It is all about gravity, and the path of least resistance.

Water will go everywhere you do not want it to go. Period.

Big things / little things. There are many things that could be worse.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post