SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who builds the best in quality Class C camper now?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who builds the best in quality Class C camper now? Login/Join 
Picture of goingbroke
posted
I am looking for who builds the best in quality to regards of quality wood, trim, appliances, furniture, coverings, etc. on a Ford E450 gas engine chassis.

I see Thor, Jayco, Winnebago, and a couple more out there.

I am looking for one between 26 to 32 foot long with a slide out and one that my wife can drive too. We are in the towing business so she is used to having to drive something like this if needed. The gas engine I want-no time for def issues.

It will be pulling a Honda Crosstour on a dolly and most trips will be under 350 miles with some maxing 600 hundred.

Later some will push out west from Georgia.

All input is greatly appreciated!

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5062 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Forest River.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7293 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Phoenix Cruiser - while technically a B+, the research I've done makes it a clear winner.

That's just my opinion

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While there are small variations in build quality between the main new Class C MH manufactures they are all very close. Some use one supplier over another and have different techniques of "glue and screw" and price does play a part.

We recently moved from and 25'Airsrteam to a 30'Coachmen. In our area of DFW' they all have representatives so over a two year period of looking and poking we found the floor plan which best suited our needs and pocketbook.

I would suggest your quest for the best actually begin with the best floor plan first, bed/ventilation second, than bathroom and followed with kitchen area. These areas are what is most important on a living/camping/traveling basis. The finishing touches and color is almost always left to the wife for obvious reasons and happiness. She chose the inside I chose the chassis/outside and options.

The choice of a Ford chassis is a good one although we did choose the Chevy route for other reasons ... less heat, better millage, quieter and service cost. Obviously this is an area of personal choice along with research and what is "right" for you and your wife. You can't go wrong with the Ford.

BTW, the largest volume dealer and heaviest price discounter in America is south of DFW in Alvarado TX and they sell to folks from all over the country who fly in or drive and tow back. Outstanding sales and service experience with many repeat customers.They discount 25/35% off the top and upfront depending on the unit.

I highly recommend you investigate Motor Home Specialties on the internet.

Good luck on your search!

If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. I stand for "We The People ..."

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: August 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
According to the big RV place near us: A Winnebago on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis. That'd be a diesel, though.

Sales dude claimed it "drives like a car." I'm sure that's a bit of an exaggeration, but, comments I've read, elsewhere tend to indicate they do handle very nicely.

We looked at, walked though, poked and prodded every Class C they had on their lot, and a few bigger/smaller ones. That's the one we liked best.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
According to the big RV place near us: A Winnebago on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis. That'd be a diesel, though.

Sales dude claimed it "drives like a car." I'm sure that's a bit of an exaggeration, but, comments I've read, elsewhere tend to indicate they do handle very nicely.

We looked it, walked though, poked and prodded every Class C they had on their lot, and a few bigger/smaller ones. That's the one we liked best.

Can confirm. My boss had a camper based on a Sprinter. WOW, was it well appointed.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
When we were looking for a top quality Class C high on our list was Leisure Vans out of Canada.

https://leisurevans.com/

They might be a little small for your needs depending on what you re looking for but the quality is top notch.
There are tons of videos on their website where the owner explains all the nuances.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Winnebago/Mercedes combo big bucks but great quality. Plus fuel savings. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I have just started this evaluation as well but with a starting preference for the Mercedes Sprinter diesel. Having owned Mercedes Diesel cars and an SUV, I am a fan of the motors. So far I like a particular floor plan offered by Forest River but have not been to poke around in them yet.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Born Free

Posts: 12950 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
We had several very satisfied friends with Lazy Daze RV's.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 2002 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Lazy Daze.

They are custom built.

Posts: 4254 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I don't think an airstream on a sprinter chassis would disappoint.

Posts: 8183 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Adirondack Mtn Guy, The One Stop Shop
Picture of AdkMtnGuy
posted Hide Post
Dutchman?

American

Take Care, God Bless, and be safe!
~AdkMtnGuy
WY0ADK

http://www.MacGregorSpecialties.com
NRA Certified Instructor
Defensive Shooting Instructor
Oath Keeper
Μολὼν Λαβέ

"Pain is your friend, it lets you know you're still alive and therefore you've still got fight left in you..." -me

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9 - New Line of Duty June 11, 2010 - WOOF!
And another one on top, Feb 14, 2012!

Challenge my Brute! http://mac.mybrute.com

Posts: 1695 | Location: Circle of Protection | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Born Free

I like those!

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5062 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Lazy Daze.

They are custom built.

Last I checked they have about a 18 month wait list.
They are pretty bare bones in terms of options. No slide outs no auto leveling system or power awnings. This how they claim such high reliability.
If you don't want or need those things then they are a great coach.

I looked very strongly at Nexus. Custom made as well. You can locate where you want electrical outlets placed USB ports etc. They are fairly new but gaining a strong following.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know you mentioned you want to stay away from diesel. But honestly, if you're towing a car behind a motorhome that size, it's going to put a lot of load on a gas engine and the torque of the diesel really is the way to go.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Skeptic
Picture of Mike the Texan
posted Hide Post
I currently live in a 13 year old Coachmen. It's ok, but easy to see that the materials were chosen for cost over quality. If I was buying new, I'd go for one of the custom/low production manufacturers mentioned above. Born Free, Phoenix Cruiser, Lazy Daze, Nexus, and Leisure Travel are all high quality. Some of those skip the dealers and sell straight to consumers, which cuts down on costs. At least one of them will have a floor plan for you.

I knew nothing about motorhomes when I started looking, and bought an information package from RV Consumer Group. It was money well spent. I suggest going to any camping shows in your area, and spend some time checking out units on dealer lots.

You didn't say if you're buying new or used. Used will of course save thousands of dollars. Depreciation is fast with a motorhome.

Posts: 220 | Location: Near a white sand beach. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
This is the equivalent of Sig Forum for motor homes and campers. Lots of helpful folks willing to share their years of experience and answer any and all questions. I suggest you spend a few days reading first before posting with questions.

If you ask a questions that's been asked a thousand times before and has been answered 1000 times you might get some back lash.

RV manufacturers are overwhelmed right now and are cranking out some pretty poor quality to try to keep up with demand. Low gas prices for the last couple years has brought camping back in a big way.

You have to make reservations at a campground well in advance if you expect to find a place. Sometimes almost a year ahead.

I would emphasize Nexus. We have been working with them for about a year on a design that includes a outdoor kitchen.

We will be putting a deposit down later this year for delivery in 2018. They have been more than excellent to work with.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the input!