SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apparently, being struck by lightning kills your sense of humor dead
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apparently, being struck by lightning kills your sense of humor dead Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas… I think I’ll walk on the other block and just meet you there. Buena suerté!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I mentioned this story to my wife yesterday, following up with a litany of complaints about the way this country has gotten softer than the sta puff marshmallow man's gut. Then an eyeroll that induced seizures...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Lightning Strike and Electric Shock Survivors International

I had no idea such a thing existed. I'm sure getting electrocuted is a traumatic event, but a support group? Confused

Who else is going to object to lightning strike jokes?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Shoot, I find it amazing that someone could even survive a lighting strike.

Two years ago, a storm blew thru our area at night. A bolt of lighting struck a mature oak tree that was about two hundred feet from the house. The crack was so loud the wife and I both sat straight up in bed, saying... WTF?

The next morning I walked over to the tree to take a look. This was a big oak, about 2.5 feet diameter at the base. The top one third of that tree was completely gone, lying down a ravine a ways away. The rest of the tree had what looked like a 12 inch slice taken out all the way down to the base. Like if you ran it through a sawmill. Damdest thing I ever saw.

People survive because the duration of the shock is microseconds.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We truly are a nation of the offended, it's social media, giving obscure groups and the odd person a pulpit from which to bitch, preach or condemn.

Any who:

Years ago lighting hit a couple of doors down, I was standing in the garage, reaching out to turn off a water hose/sprinkler since it was raining, got a hit off it, jumped from the sprinkler bib to my finger tip, wasn't even touching the handle, probably an inch or two from it, burned and left a little spot, some tingling in the arm for a while and it wasn't even close to me...

This year a young mother lost her life waiting for her youngest daughter to walk to her across a school crossing.

They were just waiting at the cross walk for her other daughter to get out of elementary school, a storm rolled in fast, as they do in Florida, there were plenty of people around this area, I've picked up my daughter and granddaughter there, it's nothing especially attractive of a lightning strike other than the Oak trees that have been there for many many years...

You never know....

Link

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post