SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How great is your boss?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How great is your boss? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I know I've said it here before, but I love my job and nearly all the people there. It's a blessing, y'all.

Anyway... this morning brought another good example. For several reasons, I was the only one from my department at work today. One of the owners came by a little after 9am and asked how it was going, checked on the team and the progress, and so forth. And then he stopped and asked if I had enough coffee. I quickly realized that the fellow who usually makes the morning coffee wasn't in today, and thus there was no coffee. So I responded, "I've got some -- I brought it with me. Do I need to make some?" His answer was, "no! My wife is bringing me coffee, and I wanted to know if you want some too." Smile

And that's the way this guy works. He's as driven and take-charge as he can be, but never ever loses sight of the humanity of the team.

- - - -

I'm sure you retired guys will chime in about how much you like your boss (yourself), or maybe you don't (the wife is constantly handing out more tasks).

But for those of you still doing "the daily grind," how great / thoughtful / generous / kind is your boss? Take a minute to brag on him (or her)!

- - - -

ETA: Let's be positive, y'all. We all like to grouch about crappy bosses. Let's take some joy in the good ones today.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Posts: 13824 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The whole administrative staff is great where I work. Unlike previous jobs.

It's great to feel appreciated.

ARman

Posts: 3208 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My boss is wonderful to the max!
He is me.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9410 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The last job I had, the boss was absolutely the finest!

(I owned the company.)

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
My boss, immediately up the chain of command, is absolutely a great person, looking out for everyone. Management above him sucks! They could give a shit about us in the trenches! I only have 6 days left before I "retire", or do something else!

I wanted to leave a couple of years ago, but was asked to stay on due to shortage of workers. I stayed on full-time for a year, then part-time for this past year with conditions which he honored.

I'm gonna miss the work and pay, but not the autonomous demands of upper management. I heard they got a 5 year contract renewal.....

Posts: 3405 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Mine was a piece of shit replacement for one of my better mentors, and laid me off within 2 years after finishing last year 130% to goal.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7136 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I have eight bosses.

The four shareholders (which all must agree, so nothing gets done); plus, I work from home, so three kids and Mrs. Scuba. I guess you could also add the 3 cats, so 11 bosses?

My post-pandemic work from home role I have carved out for myself has zero incentive for me to work harder than necessary and my only bonus is "work life balance" and not having to face to face interact with anyone at work.

It is actually glorious.

Posts: 2601 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
How great is your boss?

She loves me dearly. Razz

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My boss is dynamic. To some, he is not good. To me, he is. Not sure what to make of that. I think the difference is that we have created a relationship, and trust, and recognition of talents and abilities. Others seem to be afraid.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5190 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
My boss is a ball buster and always holds me accountable. I'm self-employed.

Posts: 3666 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say great but - he's not difficult to work for, expectations are laid-out, because all of us work remote he takes the time to connect weekly and most importantly he knowingly runs interference so all of us aren't having to labor over unnecessary projects or, tasks.

Posts: 15030 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
At 4:34 on Wednesday, I got a text from my boss telling me I could leave early for the day and to enjoy my 4th of July.

My work day ands at 4:30. Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cas,

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My boss and I are not friends but we have a mutual respect for each other and go out of our way to say good morning every day. We argue but when it ends up in a tie I back down... that whole chain of command thing. He also realizes when someone else has a better idea. My boss is one of the reasons I haven't retired. My job is still fun and my boss is on the really good side.

Posts: 7648 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My boss is pretty awesome. This is his second full-time cop position after retiring from another agency. He's great with people, the friendliest guy you'll ever meet which makes him an awesome small town chief, but he can also flip the switch and go off on somebody if he has to. He's not afraid to work the road, or go hands on with somebody, and he'll hear you out before making decisions.

Posts: 9166 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My boss is awesome, but he’s leaving for a new gig in two weeks. Frown

Help with my medical fundraiser at https://fundrazr.com/d2PmG0?ref=ab_8BFKzc.

Posts: 2148 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
I have a great deal of respect for my boss, and he is the reason I accepted my current position. After a 28 year law enforcement career, I had secured a dream retirement job--good pay, easy workload, and in charge of only myself. After meeting with my boss, and hearing his vision for his department, I opted to leave the cake job for one with comparable pay but much more workload, and six direct reports.

The boss is young--nearly 30 years my junior and the same age as my older son. He is extremely intelligent and energetic, and knows the company's operations well beyond our department. Unfortunately, many of the senior execs fear him and his perceived ambition. Also, one of my co-workers on my same level of the org chart continually pisses off the execs, getting the boss in trouble.

The boss has the talent to do so much more, but he is committed to the organization and wants to see the fruit of his labors fulfilled. Unfortunately, lots of the execs give him enough flack that I fear he'll leave for other opportunities. I've made him promise to notify me if he is putting in for other positions, because I won't stay if he leaves.

Posts: 1650 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That is EXCELLENT VThoky! Sounds like you have a good boss!! BTW, excellent post VThoky, the world needs more positivity right now.

Life is so much more fun when you have a good, fair boss. I’ve been blessed to have a few excellent bosses who have had my back and actively helped me succeed!

My boss is AWESOME. He offered me a job in 2022 but at the time I couldn’t take the offer due to my current job as a stay at home dad with 4 kids.

A year later in November 2023 (super slow time at a bike shop) when my situation had changed and my youngest kid was settled into school and I had the time to work a job I went to my local bike shop to inquire about the job offer from the previous year.

To my shock I was hired immediately. I am working THE best job I’ve ever worked with an amazing crew. I am even on the race team and have a 17 year old racing team mate who races with me in the E-MTB class!!!! (It’s so much fun!)

My boss is patient, kind, fair, easy going and 100% into bikes so we get along GREAT!!!!

I am lucky to have found a job where I wake up excited to work every single day! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21213 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same boss that hired me thirty plus years ago.
Always had my back. When cell phones with cameras
came out, that was my best tool. Problem with a customer, I took pics before I talked to the customer, If they gave me shit I got in my truck and left. 15 minutes later phone would ring, I would say Dave pics are on your way. Call me back a half hour later and say don't worry about it.
If it's the same next week just get in your truck and leave.
I bought two cars from him. New owners walked him to the door one Monday morning.
I left about a year later.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Worked for the same guy for 40 years come August 2nd. He's a demanding asshole. I see him every morning in the mirror. Big Grin

I also have 9,600 bosses in my commissioner district. Most don't know I exist. Some are serious critics, others enthusiastic supporters. Hopefully come August 6th, they will renew my contract for 4 more years.

Posts: 11282 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Best boss I've had in my entire career.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23624 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post