SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone here familiar with Rockbridge guitars?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here familiar with Rockbridge guitars? Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
I'm musing on the idea of getting a new guitar. The last new guitar I bought is still my only guitar and is now turning 30 years old. I'm itching for something new. Something special. I ran across a video of Dave Matthews playing a Rockbridge, and I got to thinking, why not?

Anybody had one?, or have another really great or special guitar they'd recommend? I'd very much prefer something made by hand in the states. I imagine the new stuff from Asia is quite good. But it just seems wrong. I've gotta draw the line somewhere.

Incidentally, my last guitar had an Equis II pickup. I'm probably preferring straight acoustic this time. My dreams of 30 years ago of becoming a singer songwriter and playing small local venues are long over. I now play for me. I suppose, just like always...

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with Rockbridge.

I don't have any experience with them, either, but I've been thinking about ordering a Pre-War. They are made by hand in the US. They are supposed to be top-tier custom instrument quality reproductions of various... pre-war acoustic guitars.

https://www.pre-warguitars.com/

Another super-premium acoustic guitar is Lowden. There was a period they were made in Asia, but they are back to being made in Ireland as they used to be. I've never played a Lowden acoustic, but I have one of the electrics they just started making a couple of years ago and it is spectacular.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maladat,

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with Rockbridge guitars, but do have a Larivee. I bought it after hearing how nice it sounded as a talented musician plucked away at it. Over the years it has opened up and the sound has just gotten better. It’s one of two guitars that I have that I have been asked if I would sell it multiple times over the years by professional musicians.

Larivee

DK

Posts: 2968 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a new Martin 00-28. Sounds great in the right hands, not my hands. There are a lot of nice acoustic guitars out there. I looked for about 6 months. Good luck.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with Rockbridge, but a quick look gives me an impression that they're probably quality commensurate with the price.

In that kind of price ballpark, what I'm familiar with and wouldn't hesitate to recommend is a Taylor Limited or a BTO (Build to Order). You'll probably get a lot of recommendations to look at Taylor and Martin, and one really couldn't go wrong with either, despite the Ford vs. Chevy type rivalry that's sprung up between fans of the brands.

My best advice is actually to go and play all the guitars you think you might be interested in until you find one that blows your mind. I promise that isn't meant to sound as flip as it may read. Firstly, you should enjoy the experience of shopping for a nice guitar and playing many of them is part of that. Second, it will help you narrow down what you're looking for. And last, if you happen to find one in person that gives you goosebumps when you first strike a chord or pluck some notes, you've eliminated the X factor of ordering a guitar that may not end up speaking to you personally. If you go into it with no expectations and simply feel and listen to the guitars, you might find yourself pleasantly surprised with what you end up liking. For example, maybe when you started playing, you liked dreadnaughts and now, a modern parlor guitar or 000 has a sound and feel to it that grabs you completely by surprise. So much has changed in guitar manufacturing in the last 30 years that I think it would shock you if you haven't been keeping up the whole time.

Posts: 17201 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
If you're talking about serious quality and rarity, I'd look into Olson guitars...my namesake. Wish I could afford one and being a lefty, they're even more rare.

https://olsonguitars.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 6guns,

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38714 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
You might want to look into Jim Olson's guitars and the artists who use his instruments.

https://olsonguitars.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aileron,

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Collings guitars have a good reputation. The ones I’ve played briefly at the store sounded great.

You might also look for a used Martin. You might find an old one whose sound will blow you away.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard a Goodall several years ago and it immediately went to the top of my wish list. Handmade in the USA.

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post