SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best place to buy a Rolex?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best place to buy a Rolex? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
+1 for Omega.

If it's a high price automatic, you can SEE the engine at work and there's less chance of a fake watch.

But, if you insist on owning a Rolex, see Dave.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you considered Tudor? Check them out for about half the price, related to Rolex.

Posts: 427 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Rolex makes over 800,000 watches per year. I don't know how much they can increase production and not risk eventually getting stuck having to offer discounts like most other Swiss brands do. AFAIK, Rolex is technically a non-profit, so they don't have to answer to investors. There are tons of other fantastic watch brands out there, but most don't hold or increase in value like Rolex does. My favorite watch is my old IWC Aquatimer. I bought it at the bottom of the depreciation curve and just back from a full service. So I don't plan on it ever appreciating, but it's an awful lot of watch for the money.

Posts: 3549 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I know a guy named Leroytus who can meet you downtown around 2am. He carries his inventory with him in the trunk of his Caddy. Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
Be careful is all I can say. I had a buddy who owns a jewelry store who got burned on a Fugazy vintage Rolex Bubbleback.

My 1993 Stainless Submariner came from Tourneau.

My 1961 2 tone Zephyr was a hand-me-down from my father. Although, somewhere along the way, someone talked my father out of the leather strap with solid gold buckle and into an aftermarket 2 tone bracelet.

If I was in the mood for another today, I'd opt for a quality dealer who charges quality prices.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I'm sure Dave Truong can help. If not, the Rolex Forum has many reputable dealers too. I've purchased one from a very good one out of CA. Pm me if you want more info.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10911 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
Weirdly enough, I'm not interested in an Omega or a Tudor or anything else. I'm only interested in a Rolex.

My two original dream watches were the Rolex Sub (like everyone) or an Omega 2254.50.

My daily wear watch prior to 2010 was a Seiko SKX007. I picked up an old Seiko 6309-7040 around that time for close to nothing that I've worn every day for the past decade. I got married wearing it, watched my two daughters be born with it on and it's been on my wrist through thick and thin. That being said...

I'm 6'3" and over 200 lbs and have a 7.5" wrist, but I favor wearing my watches "below the bone" so the two Seiko divers have always felt, well, a little large and uncomfortable. I cannot force myself to wear a watch where it is supposed to go. That said, I never would have imaged wearing anything under 40mm.

I made the mistake a couple years ago of trying on a 34mm Rolex Oyster Perpetual. It felt wonderful. Like certain songs, I haven't been able to get it out of my head ever since. I would be fine with a four or five digit piece. I would just prefer a black or blue face.

Every year for the past 10 years or so I've sworn I'm going to pickup a Rolex. Every year I find an excuse not to. As I make more money, the price of watches climb. At the moment, it appears the growth rate of sale price of Rolex watches is outpacing the growth rate of my salary. Every year I have looked back and said, "I wish I would have bought one a couple years ago."

So do you guys think the price will fall, stay consistent or only climb?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4202 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Life is short. Life is unpredictable.

Buy the watch. Screw the money, it's not that far out of budget.

Enjoy the watch. Every darn day, enjoy the watch, even if sits in your drawer for a week, enjoy the thought that it awaits you.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11860 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are dead set on a Rolex, as others suggested buy from an AD.

Posts: 427 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down With The Sickness
Picture of Sclass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
Weirdly enough, I'm not interested in an Omega or a Tudor or anything else. I'm only interested in a Rolex.

My two original dream watches were the Rolex Sub (like everyone) or an Omega 2254.50.

My daily wear watch prior to 2010 was a Seiko SKX007. I picked up an old Seiko 6309-7040 around that time for close to nothing that I've worn every day for the past decade. I got married wearing it, watched my two daughters be born with it on and it's been on my wrist through thick and thin. That being said...

I'm 6'3" and over 200 lbs and have a 7.5" wrist, but I favor wearing my watches "below the bone" so the two Seiko divers have always felt, well, a little large and uncomfortable. I cannot force myself to wear a watch where it is supposed to go. That said, I never would have imaged wearing anything under 40mm.

I made the mistake a couple years ago of trying on a 34mm Rolex Oyster Perpetual. It felt wonderful. Like certain songs, I haven't been able to get it out of my head ever since. I would be fine with a four or five digit piece. I would just prefer a black or blue face.

Every year for the past 10 years or so I've sworn I'm going to pickup a Rolex. Every year I find an excuse not to. As I make more money, the price of watches climb. At the moment, it appears the growth rate of sale price of Rolex watches is outpacing the growth rate of my salary. Every year I have looked back and said, "I wish I would have bought one a couple years ago."

So do you guys think the price will fall, stay consistent or only climb?

I've wanted a Rolex for over 20 years and this year I made it happen. I've had nice watches over the years but ultimately they weren't a Rolex. I went to a Rolex dealer in Scottsdale and that's when I found out there was a Rolex shortage. After they showed no real interest in helping me acquire one I hit up another dealer that was more accommodating. I ordered a Sub Date in Oystersteel and yellow gold but had no ETA on arrival. Took about two months but it was worth the wait. Really wish I would've done it sooner. If your needs are met indulge in this want.

https://www.rolex.com/watches/.../m126613ln-0002.html

Posts: 659 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i've dealt with davidsw on therolexforum in several transactions.

big inventory, good prices.

Posts: 2218 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have actually seen Oysters Perpetual’s and 2 tone spots models in stock. Rolex forum has a handful of legit grey market sellers and there are many legit sellers on chrono24.

Not sure how big your arms are. A 34 or 36 may wear very small. I have both 40mm explorer 2 and a 40mm submariner and they look smallish on my almost 8 inch wrists. I’d love to get a new sub or explorer 2 or gmt but I’m not paying 2x msrp for the privilege.

If you are set on 36mm I’d also look at the explorer. Can pick up a nice one from the 90s early 2000s for 6-7k.

Posts: 4782 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Kev, DavidSW is the place to go for a high end timepiece. I have dealt with him many times in the past. Standup, trustworthy guy.

https://davidsw.com/product-category/watch/rolex/

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4030 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Bobs Watches has a nice selection of pre owned you can take a look at, very reputable dealer.
https://www.bobswatches.com/

Posts: 3550 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Dave Truong. He started with this 1957 ref 6426:

He refinished the poorly refinished dial & serviced it:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
This came from Dave. It wore a black bezel back in 2008 when I bought it from him right here on the SF classifieds. The RSC in Dallas serviced it and changed the bezel to my favorite version, the Coke. One of the very few I have left now. If Dave can't help you, you could check out WatchRecon and adjust your search criteria as you like.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The prices are insane. Have been for sometime. 4 years ago I walked away from a Batman for msrp at an AD. I was a fool. I bought a lightly used seadweller from a friend for 7500.00 because that is the one I always wanted. It goes for 14k now. I wear it all the time to include deployments.

Buy what you want now. Might not be a tomorrow for you. Dave T or an AD.

Posts: 1746 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:

I agree. The snowflake hands on Tudor are really off-putting to me. I feel like I'd regret purchasing an Omega about the time I finished signing my name.

Posts: 10824 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are some very well regarded customizers who can put a Rolex sub handset on the Tudor. I'd got that route if I ever came upon a Tudor at a good price. The snowflake hands are not aesthetically pleasing to me at all.

Posts: 4782 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sclass:
I've wanted a Rolex for over 20 years and this year I went to a Rolex dealer in Scottsdale and that's when I found out there was a Rolex shortage. After they showed no real interest in helping me acquire one I hit up another dealer that was more accommodating.

I'm curious to know which dealer you ended up using? Thanks!

Posts: 10824 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post