SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATF proposing to ban/restrict pistol “braces.” Very short comment period: Please get involved.
Page 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATF proposing to ban/restrict pistol “braces.” Very short comment period: Please get involved. Login/Join 
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
With this rule being declared invalid, does that make all the newly minted "free" SBR's now owing a $200 fee or if the owner chooses not to pay do they revert back to pistol status? This could get interesting...

A lot of people were duped into getting on the lists and now can't take their firearm across state lines without asking daddy for permission.

Does this apply if the SBR is converted back to pistol configuration with a pistol brace?

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4863 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
As the rule was declared invalid, then the requirement of that rule to register your braced pistol as an SBR is equally invalid. Your braced pistol reverts automatically to being a braced pistol as if the final rule and the registration never occurred. That in turn means, no more requirement to seek BATFE permission to take your (now notta) SBR out of state. At least for now.

BATFE is looking at the wrong end of of a court order to destroy all of those registrations. Not that they will do so even if ordered by the court, but it would be a logical outcome of the court's ruling.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31986 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
quote:
A lot of people were duped into getting on the lists and now can't take their firearm across state lines without asking daddy for permission.

Does this apply if the SBR is converted back to pistol configuration with a pistol brace?

You send them a form that tells them it's no longer an SBR and they remove it from the registry, but that's not dramatic enough to post memes about.

Posts: 17614 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:

Maybe an easier alternative would be to simply buy another lower receiver.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe an easier alternative would be to simply buy another lower receiver.

If you want to have it both ways, yes. I have three or four stripped lowers in the safe and a half dozen complete LPK's in a bin if I decide it's really worth the time and effort to have a pistol lower to swap my SBR uppers onto. I promise you that's more work than emailing a form. And for what? So they don't know where I'm going? It's 2023. To accomplish that, I'd have to drive a pre-computer vehicle, no cell phone, and only carry cash. Nobody is going to go through that kind of effort.

Posts: 17614 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I figured that if someone went to all the trouble to get the permission slip to put a stock on their pistol that they'd not want to undo all that hassle rather than having options.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
If I did the paperwork for SBR and got it for free I would just stay with that. buy a pistol lower and just swap the upper over to take it out of the state!

Posts: 7865 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems that doing nothing wasn't such a dumb idea after all.

Posts: 765 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
^^YEP

Posts: 5530 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Uhhh, this hasn't even gone to court yet! This is only Injunctive Relief pending the upcoming litigation. And while the standard for such is that the Plaintiffs are 'likely' to win on the merits of their case, it's gonna be quite a while before it's settled, which will likely require the case working it's way up to the Supreme Court!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9428 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Well yeah, it will always be an ongoing legal battle with the JBTs, but for now, they cannot enforce their bullshit "rule".

Q

Posts: 27498 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
Seems that doing nothing wasn't such a dumb idea after all.

Yep...thanks Cool

Here is Colion's take on this ruling.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17152 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
So now my question is, will SB tactical resume production? Did they ever stop?

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5516 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Well I look at this as a huge win.

1st, I got an SBR Tax stamp for free. Frankly I prefer an actual stock to the brace and now I have my primary AR pistol setup with a stock since it's now a legal SBR.

2nd, I get to put my "2nd" braced pistol back together after dissembling it back when all this started.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4575 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that this is a big win for those people that do still have braced handguns and want to keep them in that configuration. Congrats guys!!!

Posts: 6707 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
So now my question is, will SB tactical resume production? Did they ever stop?

Just got an email from HKPARTS.com

"Braces Are Back".

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17152 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I figured that if someone went to all the trouble to get the permission slip to put a stock on their pistol that they'd not want to undo all that hassle rather than having options.

I was distracted when I first replied to Jupiter. Yes, easier with a pistol lower, but again, only if that's what ends up getting decided in court.

For going across state lines with an SBR, it's just a form you fill out, sign, scan, and then email for whatever state you're going to. You get an approval in a week or two and then it's good for a year. While yes, it's objectionable on it's face to have to ask permission for something like that, it's also not a massive undertaking or a long wait. You email a form. That's it. Like I said in another thread a few days ago, people really do make a bigger deal about this particular aspect of owning an SBR than it actually is.

Hopefully this whole thing actually does end up getting shot down. That'll be a massive win for everyone. A lot of you will end up getting to have your braced pistols again, some of us will have a number of free SBR's and some braced pistols. We all win.

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

I was distracted when I first replied to Jupiter. Yes, easier with a pistol lower, but again, only if that's what ends up getting decided in court.

For going across state lines with an SBR, it's just a form you fill out, sign, scan, and then email for whatever state you're going to. You get an approval in a week or two and then it's good for a year. While yes, it's objectionable on it's face to have to ask permission for something like that, it's also not a massive undertaking or a long wait. You email a form. That's it. Like I said in another thread a few days ago, people really do make a bigger deal about this particular aspect of owning an SBR than it actually is.

I've had a couple of people try to tell me it's ok to cross state lines without submitting a form to the ATF as long as the firearm was not in a SBR configuration when crossing state lines.
As someone who owns a number of SBRs as well as a Full Auto, I never believed that and would never risk it.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4863 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pages and pages of braced AR 15 pistols for sale at Palmetto State Armory again. Looks like some good deals too.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...list_order=price_asc

Posts: 13059 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If you put in an amnesty application that hasn't been approved yet, it looks like you're SOL. Per this post on Reddit from a guy who inquired about his application:

"ATF is temporarily enjoined from enforcing the Stabilizing Brace Rule due to pending litigation in Federal courts. Your application will remain in pending status while this preliminary injunction remains in effect."

I had a feeling at 120 days into my wait that they were going to just slow walk whatever was left to see if they could run out the clock. I'm really glad I emailed both the FBI and the ATF to get my shit rolling and got approvals at 122 days. The method I used had widespread success for about a month, then they started telling people to go kick rocks. Government bureaucracy at it's finest.