SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gentlemen 50+: A PSA for PSA Testing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gentlemen 50+: A PSA for PSA Testing Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have prostate cancer, an aggressive form but my Urologist said it MAY be in remission.

But let's talk about PSAs. YES, get one annually. But, in my case, my PSA was always 1.something. Then it rose to 1.6 and my Urologist asked if I'd consider a prostate biopsy. He was surprised when I said yes as apparently many vets say no to the suggestion.

A month later they did it and guess what? Yep, prostate cancer.

Not long after, I had another PSA, now it was 2.6. Started 45 radiation treatments and those hormone killing shots (so now I understand what those older women who talk about hot flashes mean) and, now, almost three years since the diagnosis in December of 2017, I am still being watched like a hawk.

I think PSAs are important, but I also think that if your PSA goes up above where it has been you ought to consider the biopsy if your doc recommends it.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
"Knock on wood"
I am 66, and just had a PSA result of 0.5, again "knock on wood".

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
Even went through the procedure where they take samples from the prostrate .

You mean Vlad the Impaler ? Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
My doc does it yearly.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Not a bad idea to get a PSA test, but don't panic if the number is slightly above the normal range. The test has an extremely high false positive rate (about 75%) and a low false negative rate (1-1.5%). Do get the follow up scan, as some tumors can't be detected manually.

Interesting bit of history, the test was originally developed as a post-cancer treatment test to see if the cancer had come back.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I had the surgery 14 years ago and have been cancer free since. My doc says that if I make it to 15 years (March) the odds are 99.9% it will not return.

Posts: 5626 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One point about these PSA tests. Your PSA fluctuates. It goes up after ejaculation. Then it settles back down. To get proper readings on your PSA, refrain from sex for at least one week before the blood is drawn. Urologists seldom seem to mention this, for some reason.

Also, PSA readings rise if you have prostatitis (a prostate infection). It can remain elevated for a couple of months after one.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:To get proper readings on your PSA, refrain from sex for at least one week before the blood is drawn. Urologists seldom seem to mention this, for some reason.

Well, we are talking about men over 50. Smile

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
My Dad was just diagnosed with prostate cancer last week. He has a bone scan scheduled for Monday. In spite of a high PSA he refused to have a further check and now praying it’s not gone further.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
My Dad was just diagnosed with prostate cancer last week. He has a bone scan scheduled for Monday. In spite of a high PSA he refused to have a further check and now praying it’s not gone further.

Bone cancer is usually the first effect of prostate cancer spreading. I had to have a bone scan prior to my prostatectomy, checking to see if it had already spread.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post