SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    May 15th lunar eclipse
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

May 15th lunar eclipse Login/Join 
posted
S U N D A Y !
S u n d a y !
S U N d a y !

Especially in South America

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Weather permitting ...

It's going to be cloudy / rainy / foggy here, so we will be out of luck.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
and on my birthday no less Roll Eyes

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Around 0300 here in Texas…nope, I’m not getting up for that.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
It's going to be a big N-O from my locale....cloudy & foggy.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
"lunar"

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
https://earthsky.org/astronomy...EDT%20on%20May%2015).

Total lunar eclipse

People in the Americas, Europe and Africa will see the total lunar eclipse during the night of May 15-16, 2022. Plus, on this night, the moon is close: a supermoon.

Penumbral eclipse begins at 1:32 UTC on May 16 (9:32 p.m. EDT on May 15).

Partial eclipse begins at 2:27 UTC on May 16 (10:27 p.m. EDT on May 15).

Totality begins (moon engulfed in Earth’s shadow) begins at 3:29 UTC on May 16 (11:29 p.m. EDT on May 15).

Totality ends at 4:53 UTC on May 16 (12:53 a.m. EDT).

Partial eclipse ends at 5:55 UTC on May 16 (1:55 a.m. EDT).

Penumbral eclipse ends at 6:50 UTC on May 16 (2:50 a.m. EDT).

Maximum eclipse is at 4:12 UTC on May 16 (12:12 a.m. EDT).

Duration of totality: About 85 minutes.

Note: This total eclipse is central. That means the moon passes centrally through the axis of Earth’s dark (umbral) shadow. The moon is in a near part of its orbit – close to Earth – during the eclipse. It’s a supermoon.

Because they are so deep, such eclipses typically have the longest total phases. In this case, the duration of totality lasts almost an hour and a half: 84.9 minutes!

A full moon is up only at night. And a total lunar eclipse can be seen from all of Earth that is experiencing night while the eclipse is taking place. But some will see the eclipse better than others, depending on location. Some will see it at moonrise or moonset, when the moon is low in the sky. Lunar eclipses are safe to view with the unaided eye. Binoculars and telescopes enhance the view, but aren’t required.

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I am watching now. Moon is 1/3 in shadow.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Raining now. Frown

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I'm in PNW. What's a "Shadow"?

In the last 50 years I'll bet something on the order of 80% of all/any/given special sky event, has been
abrogated by if not regional, at least local cloudy weather.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
I'm in PNW. What's a "Shadow"?

In the last 50 years I'll bet something on the order of 80% of all/any/given special sky event, has been
abrogated by if not regional, at least local cloudy weather.

Heh. Yeah it's pretty cloudy tonight. Just now starting to get dark so I'll go out and have another look in a bit before I call it a night. Not hopeful though.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The shadow just covered the Moon. The color is red-brown with some black on the left. Bad-ass amazing.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Crystal clear in Iowa. I had forgotten about it, saw the full moon rise, an hour or two later noticed it getting smaller but from the bottom left instead of across the middle and remembered. Told the wife about it and we watched it shrink off and on through the window, went outside for totality. Pretty cool.

Not nearly as cool as the 2017 total solar eclipse, but we also didn't have to drive 5 1/2hrs back home to Missouri for 2 1/2 mins of excitement. Crazy how much longer it takes for the lunar eclipsing to happen and how much longer it stays eclipsed.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Just came in from watching the moon go dark. It’s amazing how many city lights can be seen when the sun is not shining Razz

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It’s dark and a bit hard to see. Sunday's syzygy:

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
and on my birthday no less Roll Eyes
Happy Birthday!

Posts: 6917 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My wife and I watched it from the backyard of our vacant rental house in Chandler, AZ. More fun than sanding and painting. Sent a series of iPhone photos to the family.

Posts: 18054 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Overcast and thunderstorms here. No joy.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
No show here in SE Michigan, clouds and rain.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Just cell phone pics. Smile

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post