SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any experience with the north face base camp duffel?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with the north face base camp duffel? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
I got a gift certificate and it seems pretty durable for a weekend pack.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7964 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I have one. It's very rugged, just expensive. If you have a gift certificate, rock out.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16399 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had one for about 8 years now, it’s been all over the world and still works just like a duffel bag should.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
What do you want to use it for? If it's for Airline travel, I'd say look at something else (North face has plenty for that). For a weekend pack that you're going to pack, there are better options. The only thing that I'd use that for is a multibag expedition, and for that I'd have something better if you'd like.

They make good lasting gear, but make sure that it fits your purpose.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6091 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have the older version- I’ve been using it for almost 18 years as a duty bag at work and intermittently as a vacation bag. Very tough bag indeed.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15633 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I have a large and medium. They are 10+ years old and have held up rather well. You won’t be disappointed

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I have had one for 10+ years. It's literally been around the world. Tough as nails. Part of the North Face name is worn off mine. It has scuff marks from baggage handlers but still functions 100%.

I pull the should straps tight and put them under the handles when I put it on a baggage carousel.

I prefer roller bags overall for travel but often I have to much gear to make weight when packing it in a 10+ lbs roller bag. This is why I started traveling with it. It's held almost 50 lbs of dive gear for many trips without issue. I can throw it on my back and walk through an airport.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Hopefully the new ones are as good as the old ones.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7964 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Thanks for the replies. Hopefully the new ones are as good as the old ones.

They are. I have abused my North face travel gear a lot, and it has broken (after ten years) but still performed. I just got new models and they seem to be of the same caliber.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6091 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked for the company back when these first debut and have seen the evolution over the past 20-years.

They are just as good as the originals, actually better in some ways. Lot more colors and the padding in the straps is much improved. The bags are designed to be big, durable haulers, period. Guys getting deployed and long overseas trips where strapping your gear to an animal or, atop a vehicle is where these are right at home. The L-XXL bags have pack-straps but, that's merely a convenience carry method when your Sherpa isn't available, get it loaded up and you'll likely be hitting your calf as you walk. M is the most popular size, L is #2, XL is #3, S has become popular as gym/vehicle/1st Aid bags.

Posts: 14699 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a bomb proof duffel also consider the Red Oxx bags. Mine will probably outlast me, very high quality and actually made in the USA:

https://www.redoxx.com/safari-...ag-pr5/91031/product

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post