SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Standing Up to Meet or Greet Someone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Standing Up to Meet or Greet Someone Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
It’s such a small thing. Standing up to meet or greet someone. I have long been disappointed in the many men I’ve met who can’t be bothered to stand up. Do that to me and it’s going to be a steep hill for you to climb, to earn my respect.

I was dwelling on it this morning and felt a need to get it out there.

Related, not long ago I met the son of a Wyoming Highway Patrol officer. The boy was about 9, gave me a limp handshake, and looked down at my belt line. In the officer’s defense, he is divorced and mother has custody, but you can (at least potentially) learn so much about a person by looking them in the eye and feeling the handshake. I actually said to the boy, “I’m up here,” to get him to lift his eyes. I didn’t think more from me was warranted.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Unless you're in some way hindered, get up on your hind legs and greet folks properly.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
And not removing your hat when you come indoors.

Father would have removed my head from under the hat.

The exceptions being members for the military who are under arms, who must remain covered even when indoors (at least the Marines do).

As an aside, the only people, save the Pentagon Force Protection Agency officers, I've seen openly tote firearms in the Pentagon are Marines.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree 100% to always stand when possible - It is a sign of Respect - Plain and Simple.

This would be one allowable exception Big Grin

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
Agree 100% to always stand when possible - It is a sign of Respect - Plain and Simple.

This would be one allowable exception Big Grin

I could not agree more. What a douche (the one standing).

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15484 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
And not removing your hat when you come indoors.

I haven't done that since the day I got out of the Army. I won't begrudge anyone who does, but it's impractical. Back in the Army days, with soft caps (or the ghey berets they wear now Big Grin ) it was simple enough to stuff it in your cargo pocket and get on with your business. I'm not taking off my ballcap and holding it in my hand while I walk around the grocery store...or anywhere else for that matter. Nope. Hat stays on the head unless and until I feel like taking it off.

I do agree with TMats on the handshake, though.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is one thing not to agree with anyoneon any item. It is totally a different thing not toshown a level of respect for a person position, (i.e. A judge, LEO, elected officials etc)
I may like the president of the US policies but I fully resppect the office he holds.
Wearing a hat indoors has become a US staple of what we do. Not properly addressing people.

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 30, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I was taught as a young man that one rises when a gentleman or lady enters the room. I don't remember ever being taught the "right thing to do" when a self-important asshole enters the room.

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Standing yes. Hats no.

The hat removal thing is dated. Went out with Cary Grant. I'm not taking off a baseball cap because that is what they did in the 50's with their fedoras. I wear shorts to church now too. My mom would have died before letting me do that as a kid. lol

Posts: 7497 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find myself stand to meet someone new that I don't know .

But not to friends or family.

Never hats indoors

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Our society has changed so much just during our lifetimes! When I was in the first grade, every Friday afternoon we'd leave our regular classroom and go to another where we were instructed how to be "ladies and gentlemen." The girls had to learn how to curtsey, walk across the room with a book on top of their heads; the boys were taught to hold the door for a lady, pull out her chair for her, stand when she arrived or departed the scene, etc.

And, as pedropcola said, church? Wow - what a difference! We wore our very best clothes to church. Every Saturday night, we'd polish our shoes for the next day's service. My brother once asked my father why we had to dress up for church. My father knew how much my brother respected Ed Sullivan, so he asked, "If you were going to meet Ed Sullivan, would you wear your best clothes?" After my brother answered in the affirmative, my Dad said, "So, you'll dress up for Ed but not for God?"

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I think it's generational. I see no problem with a handshake, but I'd just as soon not if given the option. I will likely never initiate it, but I also wont just leave someone hanging their hand out there either. I simply don't like touching others or being touched. Handshake to hug from new acquaintance to old friend, I'd just rather not.

Hats are only an issue to me in someone else's home or at a table. Simply the way I was raised. Hats off to eat or in someone's home or office. I suppose I'd give the same respect to a church if I attended one. I do not remove mine when entering the church that is our local polling place to vote, but I also don't really believe in what they're selling. As to walmart or a movie, not so much.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
We were meeting for breakfast during a family get together for Thanksgiving. My collage aged niece and her boyfriend showed up and as soon as he sat down he took off his ballcap and put it on the floor under his seat. Turned out she warned him about proper etiquette and that the family took it seriously.

Another one I learned was when I was an RDC at boot camp in Great Lakes. Removing your glove to shake hands.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3852 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've been wearing ball caps for as long as I can remember. I never take it off if going into a restaurant or someone's home. I don't know any one else that does either. It does get taken off going to church, so there is that.

Even at my age I will always stand if meeting someone.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No gloves on for shaking hands, no sunglasses when greeting either. I want nothing preventing eye contact.
Billy

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I was raised to stand whenever a lady enters/departs the room or the table.

Always offer your seat to a female or an elder. Hold the door for everyone, but especially a lady.

Also never eat with a hat on.

Shake hands firmly but carefully so as not to injure the other party.

Make at least some eye contact when conversing with someone, unless they’re wearing sunglasses inside (which annoys the $#it out of me unless it’s for medical reasons.)

No profanity in the presence (earshot) of females or elders. (This was mainly when I was school-aged, but it’s still the gentlemanly way.)

Glove off to shake hands unless actually outside in the cold. Of course now most folks just fist-bump, and besides, I may be the only one in Tucson who wears gloves. Lol

And of course the most basic of common courtesies — Sir, Ma’am, Please, and Thank You!!

I guess I kind of exceeded the topic a bit; my apologies.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I was always taught to stand when greeting someone, AND give a firm handshake... no wet dishrags!

Posts: 4587 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
We also used to polish boots, iron creases into clothing, and have clean shaven faces (military).

A lot is changing. I'm told not all of it bad. The real issue I'm gathering from nearly every post...is the lack of respect and recognition of others. I can respect those that find a way to accomplish that in a recognizable manner.

I used to always get stand upon entry of someone into a room. Knees dictate now how often that happens, but eye contact and a greeting no matter what. I do still hold doors when presented with the opportunity, and go a little out of my way to do so when able. Even for the ungrateful females. Sometimes especially for them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I decided I've reached the age where I don't have to get up for no one. If I do anyway, it's going to take me 15 minutes.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post