SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Standing Up to Meet or Greet Someone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Standing Up to Meet or Greet Someone Login/Join 
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I can still hear my Dad's voice in my head from when I was 5, "stand up straight and look 'em in the eye."

It was drilled into me. I few things like that taught early like saying please and thank you will take you a long way.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1892 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigFan:
I was raised to stand whenever a lady enters/departs the room or the table.

Always offer your seat to a female or an elder. Hold the door for everyone, but especially a lady.

Also never eat with a hat on.

Shake hands firmly but carefully so as not to injure the other party.

Make at least some eye contact when conversing with someone, unless they’re wearing sunglasses inside (which annoys the $#it out of me unless it’s for medical reasons.)

No profanity in the presence (earshot) of females or elders. (This was mainly when I was school-aged, but it’s still the gentlemanly way.)

Glove off to shake hands unless actually outside in the cold. Of course now most folks just fist-bump, and besides, I may be the only one in Tucson who wears gloves. Lol

And of course the most basic of common courtesies — Sir, Ma’am, Please, and Thank You!!

I guess I kind of exceeded the topic a bit; my apologies.

This was my upbringing as well. We also never addressed elders by their first name, it was Mr. or Mrs.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

A hat should be taken off while, for example, the national anthem is being played, but only for the duration. The rest of the time "hats off indoors" is silly.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I put this in the same category as my holding the door open for someone…I don’t care if they are male or female…old or young…if I have the opportunity to hold a door open for someone, I will and when they say “thank you”, I always reply “you’re very welcome and have a blessed day”…it makes me feel good and hopefully it makes them have a better day Smile Smile Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've spent my life around great businessmen and they were all well mannered salesmen, hail fellow well met enthusiastic with a bit of bs sometimes. Me to. I try to make a good first impression but I'll wear my ball cap to an informal restaurant, hat hair sucks. Now at Ruth's Chris or a Morton's type place I'll look sharp.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
Agree 100% to always stand when possible - It is a sign of Respect - Plain and Simple.

This would be one allowable exception Big Grin

So I looked at this and then read Airdale26's response (I assume, as it alludes to this pic).

I get that we should try to be respectful of most everyone, even those we don't particularly like. If I was the guy at the booth, I wouldn't turn around and say "Waddya lookin'at, Fucknuts?" If addressed, I'd call him "sir".

But he's not royalty and I'm not his subject. I rise for a judge entering a court room, or the National Anthem. I don't just get up for a public servant interrupting my meal. And that goes for just about any politician, not just the ones I dislike.

Regarding hats, my wife got me this really nice scally cap from Ireland. I really didn't want to put it on the seat in a restaurant. I'm not a hat guy, but the Army taught me to take it off indoors. I asked her if that was still a thing, she said yes. I looked it up, and apparently it comes from the days when hats had a purpose (keep rain/etc off you). You didn't want to drag that inside, so you'd remove your hat. Not sure if that's right or not, but interesting. Hats really are more a fashion thing now.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post