SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's this "California movement to secede from US" nonsense going on about?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's this "California movement to secede from US" nonsense going on about? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I'm confused at the idea of them having 55 electoral votes. Anyone got anything to help me?

It was my understanding a state received an electoral vote for each senator and each representative. They have 55 under the current count. But if they divide into 3, they'll still have the same number of representatives, but suddenly they'll have 6 senators. Thus extending their voting power by 4 more. Interesting, isn't it? Depending on how they divide (like amoebia) the libs might even have all 6 as wild eyed commies.

No way they'll change the formula. And it brings up things like why does Rhode Island have 2, or Montana? They'll get the votes of the other dem states, but won't get them from rep states. How many would it take to accept the new commies? Oh, maybe 2/3rds.

I believe electoral votes are based on the population.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1223 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BadDogPSD:
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I'm confused at the idea of them having 55 electoral votes. Anyone got anything to help me?

It was my understanding a state received an electoral vote for each senator and each representative. They have 55 under the current count. But if they divide into 3, they'll still have the same number of representatives, but suddenly they'll have 6 senators. Thus extending their voting power by 4 more. Interesting, isn't it? Depending on how they divide (like amoebia) the libs might even have all 6 as wild eyed commies.

No way they'll change the formula. And it brings up things like why does Rhode Island have 2, or Montana? They'll get the votes of the other dem states, but won't get them from rep states. How many would it take to accept the new commies? Oh, maybe 2/3rds.

I believe electoral votes are based on the population.
Electoral votes are only partly based on population. Every state has 2 Senators and a number of Representatives based on population (but not less than 1). The number of Electors is the total of Senators and Representatives, ranging (at present) from a minimum of 3 (Wyoming & others) to a maximum of 55 (California). This formula gives the states with small populations an edge over those with large ones, and that was deliberate--a plan to make sure that just a few large population centers would not be able to dominate election of the President. There are only 4 states with more than 20 Electors: California (55); Texas (38); and Florida and New York (29 each). There are 15 states with 5 or fewer votes. The average state has just less than 11 Electors (10.7).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post