SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's this "California movement to secede from US" nonsense going on about?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's this "California movement to secede from US" nonsense going on about? Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
There's no way California can stand on its own. Too far in debt as a "state" not to mention a "State". Too many loons. Too strategic to US defense policies. etc.

Even dividing the state among the sane & productive counties and leaving the flotsam to wait for the Big Quake won't ever fly.

Other than pandering click-bait for pipe-dreamers on either side why give this air time?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5675 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Excuse me... When?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38249 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Good point! Lock the thread now? Big Grin

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
They can vote whatever they want. Congress will say no.

I think this is why Chuck started thus thread:

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...ting-signatures.html

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Because there are powerful banking interests waiting for the opportunity to raise a massive army to invade and force California back into the Union, after which they will hold "tax sales" to buy up all the land and industry for pennies on the dollar. Then eastern politicians will swoop in to run the government, looting everything of value left.

Been done successfully before on other successionist efforts.

Wink

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32056 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm all for it. If there is any way I can help this along, please let me know.

Posts: 109167 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
It started way back on November Ninth of 2016. I keep praying they make good on the offer. Almost 18 months later still here unfortunately.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
When do we all show up on the border with pickaxes and shovels? How deep do we have to dig?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38249 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I've got a different take on it. I say we let them split up. Let's say north to south between LA & San Francisco by about 50 miles inland give or take. Then the rest of the (mostly) rational & productive part of the state can stand apart or split into two or three separate states. The more the better.

What's left of liberal California, (the People's Republik of Commiefornia) gets their two senators, & how ever many representatives their population dictates.

Likewise, each of the other states also get their two senators & whatever reps they're due. I believe it's a net gain & a significant win for Free America.

There are a lot of good, right-thinking folks over there, They're just outvoted statewide by the douchebaggery. Let's give them a chance to join us. There's nothing sacred about the stateline as currently drawn, IMO.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5545 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Let them go, let them go, let them go.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36898 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Surrender monkeys to the left of me,
Surrender monkeys to the right of me,
Surrender monkeys all over the internet
Volleyed and thundered.
Stormed away at Pavlov's bell,
Argued they, but never well,
And into the jaws of myths quite fell,
They oh-so-proudly blundered.

If you guys aren't willing to outwait and outwork a few hippies when you don't have to pay taxes in the state, then you're pathetic.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
I'll gladly help. Heck, I'd even travel there to vote to approve it ... just like half of Central America.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
The state dividing in to multiple states is far more likely than secession. I wouldn’t mind busting up that 55 electorate vote state in to some smaller states that would be far more competitive.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
Yes, by all means, secede, take the Ninth Circuit Court, and those 55 electoral votes that always go to whatever democratic weasel that’s running and go.
Sean

------------------------------------------
Just because you can, doesn't mean
you should.

Posts: 963 | Location: KCMO | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead! If they think that we will be like oh please no, don't go! I believe they will be sorely disappointed. I am pretty sure there won't be a big uproar to bring them back into the fold. They are going to hate having foreign military bases already on their soil. Because guess what, rifles with bullet buttons are going to seem pretty stupid once they try to reclaim territory. Reap it bitches!

I feel sorry for all the folks there that are misrepresented by their state government. It's total bullshit that a few cities can rule over the whole state.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1141 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I am for such things.

It might seem a futile resistance against the "Borg", but it does cause some people to stop, wonder, and think, an out of that is "one" more.

And funny thing about the math, for every "one" that crosses over, is counted as "two".

-1 for them, +1 for us.

I love math.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Calexit is left — we are progressive, and that's why we don't like Trump," Evans said. "But there are some very hardcore Republican concepts to Calexit, including the group saying don't waste our tax money."

The irony in this statement is incredible.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I think its a wonderful idea

California hates everything America stands for so it only makes sense

the really really really positive upside is that it probably means the end of the democratic party ever getting into power again

based on that alone, I can't wait to see them leave

good riddance

so when they leave, they all lose citizenship, want to come to the US, get a visa

no longer part of the US, you no longer have a currency - invent your own

and for the rest of us - no more transfer payments, welfare, supporting illegals and having to listen to California politicians tell us why we're all doing it wrong

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I'm confused at the idea of them having 55 electoral votes. Anyone got anything to help me?

It was my understanding a state received an electoral vote for each senator and each representative. They have 55 under the current count. But if they divide into 3, they'll still have the same number of representatives, but suddenly they'll have 6 senators. Thus extending their voting power by 4 more. Interesting, isn't it? Depending on how they divide (like amoebia) the libs might even have all 6 as wild eyed commies.

No way they'll change the formula. And it brings up things like why does Rhode Island have 2, or Montana? They'll get the votes of the other dem states, but won't get them from rep states. How many would it take to accept the new commies? Oh, maybe 2/3rds.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I live right smack dab in the middle of the Bay Area.

The latest 3 way split they are proposing would give the Dems 6 Senators. To the north it has San Francisco. Then the Central coast. To the south they have Los Angeles. This way they will have all the large costal populations still dominating the voting.

A split vertically down the center of State is what's needed.

All this is just stupid progressive talk any way. It will never happen.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3648 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post