SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When did TV remotes stop having numbers on them?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did TV remotes stop having numbers on them? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
My 3 year old Samsung TV remote doesn't have numbers, it has a separate button you push (123), which brings up a numeric ribbon on the screen you enter numbers by scrolling and hitting enter...

I would absolutely HATE that. When I want to watch channel 7, I press one button on my remote... the one marked "7." No stinking way do I want to add complexity and have to light up a ribbon, then scroll across it, then press enter. Why a half-dozen button presses, when one does the job? I'm an engineer and I love neat technology, but dang! That's just goofy!

Man... I hope my existing TVs never die.

God bless America.

Posts: 13521 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I run them mainly with my iPad via an app.

[This is not a dig at you, Joel.]

Good grief, we keep adding complexity to simple tasks! Mad

In this instance, here's what I see:
Instead of picking up a remote and pressing the appropriate button, I have to locate my tablet, wake it up (hopefully it's charged), enter the passcode, launch the app, and THEN press the appropriate buttons.

[Al Bundy] Great Caesar's ghost!! [/Al Bundy]

That was my first thought as well. What, exactly, is gained by adding another layer of technology?

I can see there are at least two folks who have never tried to type in movie names into Netflix/Amazon search boxes using scroll arrows and enter buttons on remotes. Who knew? Wink

Being serious for a second, though, the iPad app is butt-simple. It makes it trivial to change the content source the Roku is connected to, and lets you search for movies or actors without hunting and pecking one freakin' letter at a time, scrolling with the remote's arrow key step by step on a tiny keyboard and pressing 'enter' one character at a time.

It is not enough, by itself, to warrant buying an iPad. But it was very nice when I discovered having one meant I was freed from that tiny Roku remote. Smile

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Because it's a Roku TV. It's built for streaming, where numbers aren't necessary because you don't pick channels, you pick programs.

Posts: 3666 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
Never seen one with no numbers

Neither have I.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being serious for a second, though, the iPad app is butt-simple. It makes it trivial to change the content source the Roku is connected to, and lets you search for movies or actors without hunting and pecking one freakin' letter at a time, scrolling with the remote's arrow key step by step on a tiny keyboard and pressing 'enter' one character at a time.

Okay, Joel, thank you for that explanation. That does make it a bit more reasonable -- searching with a "real" keyboard is certainly far easier than the scroll-and-pick method. (That drive me crazy, too -- like when trying to enter a complex password. Good grief!) Big Grin

Now if I still had an iPad.... Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13521 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
I run them mainly with my iPad via an app.

[This is not a dig at you, Joel.]

Good grief, we keep adding complexity to simple tasks! Mad

In this instance, here's what I see:
Instead of picking up a remote and pressing the appropriate button, I have to locate my tablet, wake it up (hopefully it's charged), enter the passcode, launch the app, and THEN press the appropriate buttons.

[Al Bundy] Great Caesar's ghost!! [/Al Bundy]

What you think is complexity I think is simplicity. I love having the ability to control all my devices from my phone. I always know where it is and never have to change batteries.

If you don’t have a smart phone, or don’t use it to it’s full potential, usually have it close, charged and on, then you aren’t in the majority. There’s nothing wrong with that of course but you have to accept that for better or worse you are now in the minority of their target customer. Things are made for the majority of users. Simplified remotes and apps are another way to keep costs low.

If you don’t like smart phones and apps there are still universal remotes you can buy. Manufacturers just stopped including them since there is no reason to make everyone pay for something that only a few want. Use the money you saved on the TV to put towards whatever remote you want for it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't remember the last time I actually changed a channel by entering it's number. I use the menu because there is no way I can remember the numbers for all the channels.

Heck most of the time we're watching stuff off the DVR (except for hockey and baseball). I'd take a remote with no numbers on it if it had a nice scroll wheel and centrally located Play/Stop/FF/Skip buttons.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
if you stream you don't need numbers.

If you're using cable/satellite you have a box that came with a remote.

I think that's why they are ditching complex remotes.

I use an Apple TV to stream. It comes with their Siri remote and I've never had a need for numbers.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
If they ever stop making universal remotes, I'm in deep trouble. Or my TV watching days are numbered.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The TCL TV that we picked up recently at Costco came with a Roku remote. No channel numbers.

Doesn't really matter, we run everything through a TiVo that integrates OTA antenna input and cable input, and the TiVo remote is pretty conventional with channel numbers, et.

The Logitech Harmony aftermarket remotes are good, and do a good job of controlling multiple devices.

Here is a photo of a remote similar to the one that came with our TV:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
My 3 year old Samsung TV remote doesn't have numbers, it has a separate button you push (123), which brings up a numeric ribbon on the screen you enter numbers by scrolling and hitting enter...

Same remote on my Samsung.
We cut cable last year & only do streaming services now, so numbers aren't too relevant for us.

Main downside is that the remote is pretty small & gets misplaced occasionally (6 & 3 yr old users).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15379 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
mayby it one of the talk to things I seen advertises.
You are in deep trouble with all the talking birds in your house. Wink

This is really funny. SC might be able to make money from Youtube videos of the birds channel surfing while he is not at home.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post