SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When did TV remotes stop having numbers on them?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did TV remotes stop having numbers on them? Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted
OK after the house got blasted by lightning
and frying every AV component in the house,
I went TV shopping.

I picked up a 43" Roku TV that'll fit in the entertainment center.
After unboxing and setting it up, I noticed the remote no longer has numbers.
Just a Roku remote. After a little research apparently many TV no longer have a numbered remote.
You use your iPhone. Or the cable/sat box is the number pad.

I haven't bought a TV or even looked at them since 2010.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39770 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
That's news to me. Every remote I have looked at has numbers.

Maybe you got a lemon.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they’ve got your number.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12445 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
mayby it one of the talk to things I seen advertises.
You are in deep trouble with all the talking birds in your house. Wink

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This must be a trend. Our new GE built-in microwave has no numbers on the control panel. Didn't notice it until it was installed. You cannot set an exact time for cooking. You dial the time in 15 second increments. Nothing in the manual about it and when I called GE for help, they didn't know what I was talking about.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Math is hard

Posts: 26945 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
You have to ask Siri or Alexa to change the channel for you:

You: Alexa, change TV to channel 5.

Alexa: OK, ordering Chanel No. 5 from your Prime account.

Big Grin

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
We don't have Roku TVs, but have Roku boxes, including one of the first version. They all have remotes with no numbers. I run them mainly with my iPad via an app.

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
The remote for my new Vizio has numbers.

Little, tiny, damn near unreadable numbers.

In fact ALL the buttons on that damn thing are made for people with fingers the size of toothpicks. And they're crammed in so close together it's almost impossible to hit just one.

3 times out of 4, I go to hit the power button to turn the TV off, and I fat-finger the HULU button too. The screen goes blank, I think I've turned it off, come back in the room 15 minutes later and it's waiting for input.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15274 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Never seen one with no numbers

Posts: 13022 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Slight drift, but it seems many new "manuals" for devices use symbols rather than words to indicate functions. Drives me crazy.

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
On a somewhat related note, although our TV remotes have numbers, they are not illuminated.

Changing the channel in a dimly lit room becomes an exercise in frustration.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I run them mainly with my iPad via an app.

[This is not a dig at you, Joel.]

Good grief, we keep adding complexity to simple tasks! Mad

In this instance, here's what I see:
Instead of picking up a remote and pressing the appropriate button, I have to locate my tablet, wake it up (hopefully it's charged), enter the passcode, launch the app, and THEN press the appropriate buttons.

[Al Bundy] Great Caesar's ghost!! [/Al Bundy]

God bless America.

Posts: 13521 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I run them mainly with my iPad via an app.

[This is not a dig at you, Joel.]

Good grief, we keep adding complexity to simple tasks! Mad

In this instance, here's what I see:
Instead of picking up a remote and pressing the appropriate button, I have to locate my tablet, wake it up (hopefully it's charged), enter the passcode, launch the app, and THEN press the appropriate buttons.

[Al Bundy] Great Caesar's ghost!! [/Al Bundy]

That was my first thought as well. What, exactly, is gained by adding another layer of technology?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15274 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
We have a roku tv for the basement and it is like you say no numbers on the remote. The nicer tv in the living room does have a normal remote.

The lower cost tv manufacturers expect people to just steam tv not watch live tv.

For the most part they are probably correct. 2 of my daughters have tvs that they only stream on.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I believe it's a streaming TV thing now.
Well it is basically just a monitor as no one really has need for a tuner anymore.

I'd like to install an HD Antenna eventually.
But I believe it will require a tuner.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39770 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I believe it's a streaming TV thing now.
Well it is basically just a monitor as no one really has need for a tuner anymore.

I'd like to install an HD Antenna eventually.
But I believe it will require a tuner.

That's pretty much it for me - I couldn't tell you the channel number for any network these days. I do still have Comcast, I just pick up the remote, hit a button, and tell it what channel or show I want. I have no idea what number is associated with it. "History channel", "Alabama football game", "The Walking Dead", etc. I can't remember the last time I punched a number into a TV remote.

Funny thing is, I can tell you the channels we had growing up - 6, 10, 13, 42. ABC, PBS, NBC and CBS Smile

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
My fire stick remote doesn't. Most things run from the input and chosen app.
Ff/rr,play like a dvr.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
All my remotes have numbers, even the 2 I bought in the last month. Might be wrong but I didn't think Roku needed remotes with numbers.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
My 3 year old Samsung TV remote doesn't have numbers, it has a separate button you push (123), which brings up a numeric ribbon on the screen you enter numbers by scrolling and hitting enter...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post