SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Canadian Whiskey
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canadian Whiskey Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
It's kinda interesting to see how people's tastes vary so much. What one person loves, another may totally hate the taste of! Like that scotch I tried a few months back... how anybody could drink that stuff I'll never know! Admittedly, it was not a top-shelf expensive brand, because my lowly budget can't afford anything like that to begin with, but it was simply nasty to my taste buds. And the Canadian whiskies that I like taste like pine needles to others or otherwise simply isn't good.

I suppose that's why there are so many different varieties, huh? Something for everyone... Wink

Posts: 4596 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
And this isn't a bourbon thread....yet. Guess you guys are implying I should set my bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20 yr. out for the homeless guys. Wait, What? No, I can't legally sell it to someone 'round here, the way I bought mine!

I'd suggest the OP here test drink some American Blended whiskey. Just for the fun of it. I used to work for a big distilling company. We had a thing we called "bottle of the month club". Nothing particularly clubby about it, the company just sprung for a bottle for each emloyee every month. They wanted to round out sour drinking tastes. One month it was Schenley American. It was actually good, at least to me. The next day at work I asked around. About half the folk still had theirs unopened. I had lots of trading material because I didn't open the scotch I was given. Was kind of interesting the next day, me carrying in a satchel full of booze and taking home the same with different booze.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I find all Canadian whiskey horribly sweet. Yuck. Don't like any of it.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Forty Creek is the popular one amongst my friends who like Canadian Whiskey.

Remember, the key ingredient in Crown Royal is 15yr Bourbon with a bunch of cheaper whiskey blended in to water it down and stretch it further, so if you like Crown, I bet you can find an inexpensive Bourbon you like since it's the crux of Crown in the first place.

I drank a fair amount of Seagram's 7 when I was young and had no taste. Its easy to drink.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drink what ya like. Blended Canadian stuff isn't for me but I'm glad you found something you like and it's cheap to boot. What scotch did you drain pour?

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I’ve tried several blended American whiskies, several Kentucky burbons, Jack Daniels various types, etc., and while I liked most of them okay, I still preferred the blended Canadian stuff once I tried it... and of course the lower price helped greatly!

Regarding the Scotch... I think it was Dewars but I really cannot remember for sure.

Posts: 4596 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
For Canadian, try Pike Creek. Small distillery, very smooth great flavor.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2672 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
By far the best Canadian whisky I have found is Pendleton 1910 Rye. Better than CR or CR Reserve IMO.
Aged 12 years and very tasty smooth sippin' whisky.

The only use for scotch I can think of is to clean brake dust off my wheels...but I wouldn't even subject my wheels to that nasty stuff.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:

Regarding the Scotch... I think it was Dewars but I really cannot remember for sure.

Dewars is a blend and not a very good one. I have an old bottle and use it for Hot Toddies this time of year.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For mixed drinks I love Seagram's V.O. and for on the rocks with an olive it's Crown Royal. In the heat of summer I switch to Seagram's lime Infused gin.
Come to think of it, other than Costco's Kirkland brand margarita mix, I love Canadian booze..Eh

"Shoot lower, Sheriff, They're ridin' shetlands"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAEIndustries
posted Hide Post
They weakend up the CR way back to bring in more customers, it used to have a great gusto to it

Shawn Rife

www.raeind.com

Posts: 175 | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
To the OP: you're right about Canadian Hunter. It's very good, and good for the price. I used that for a long time until I discovered VO. That stuff is very smooth and tasty. I like it

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drank lots of McNaughtons when I couldn’t afford Crown. Tasted almost the same when mixed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
my standard drink used to be CC & 7. Canadian Club and 7-up. I think my practice was to let the ice cubes melt a bit before I drink it and it made it taste sweet.

But when I tasted good scotch whiskey, then I understood how drinking was meant to be enjoyed. It made me realize why it's called rotgut.

ditto,

was a big fan of 7&7
seagrams 7 and 7up,

now, not so much

bought a bottle of Canadian Club when I was watching madmen, and used it to mix a drink or 3,

nasty stuff,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Forty Creek is the popular one amongst my friends who like Canadian Whiskey.

<<snip>>

Forty Creek keeps popping up in this thread, so while I don't remember seeing it at my preferred ABC store, I'll definitely look for it specifically next time I'm in there to see if they carry it. If not, I'll try a different store, but this one has the lowest prices of anybody around here, AND they're very close to my house, so I'll have to go on a little excursion to find it.

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
<<snip>>
bought a bottle of Canadian Club when I was watching madmen, and used it to mix a drink or 3,

nasty stuff,

LOL.... and here I like the stuff straight from the bottle, no mixing with anything! Eek Big Grin