SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Canadian Whiskey
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canadian Whiskey Login/Join 
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted
Over the past several months I have sampled various distilled spirits to expand my palate beyond the basic cold beer. While nothing will replace an icy cold imported brew, I have discovered that my favorite distilled beverage is quite common, and nowhere near as expensive as I would have originally assumed it would be!

After sampling MANY distilled spirits over the past 6 months or so, it has become apparent that my favorite is one of the cheapest, and that doesn’t hurt my feelings one bit!

While I appreciate much of what is available, what I like the most is a blended Canadian whiskey. I have sampled everything from expensive to the cheapest, and to my surprise the cheap stuff tastes as good as the more expensive stuff, so spending extra for the name-brand spirits is not necessary for me at all!

At this moment in time, Canadian Hunter is my preference, neat, i.e., straight from the bottle; no need to mix with anything! I absolutely LOVE the flavor, and it is just as good as much more expensive brands! From the nearest ABC store it only costs me $8.00 per fifth, so the price can’t be beat either!

Out of curiosity I’ve sampled the more expensive stuff, but just don’t see any advantage in taste. In fact, one of the single-malt scotches that I tried, I poured down the drain after one sip, and it wasn’t cheap either!

Am I weird? Am I the only person who likes the cheap Canadian whiskey? According to the guys at the local store where I buy mine, they sell the heck out of it!!!

Posts: 4789 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I recall a particularly horrible morning or two after having overly partook in cheap Canadian whiskey in my earlier years. We gave our 21 year old friend cash and asked for liquor. He pocketed more than he spent, in retrospect.

My impression was that it was a common theme with the stuff.

Then again, I expect you aren't partaking until you vomit these days Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I prefer the cheaper/younger scotches out there. I find I prefer the more powerful process flavors that are smoothed out with aging. The oldest scotch I will buy is Lagavulin 16.

Posts: 7653 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Used to drink mostly Canadians when I preferred mixed drinks. Now that I drink it on ice or with a touch of soda, the only thing I can stomach is Crown Royal. Everything else is bitter, harsh, or just plain tastes bad. So I went from Kesslers and Imperial to the top. On the other hand, I like Johnny Walker Red as well as any other scotch. Go figure.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
my standard drink used to be CC & 7. Canadian Club and 7-up. I think my practice was to let the ice cubes melt a bit before I drink it and it made it taste sweet.

But when I tasted good scotch whiskey, then I understood how drinking was meant to be enjoyed. It made me realize why it's called rotgut.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20080 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'm not much of a fan of Canadian Whiskey. I'll even go so far as to say that I hate Crown Royal.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I'm a beer snob, but I love Crown Royal and like CC.

Never had or heard of Canadian Hunter.

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I am not personally a fan, but I won't belittle anyone else's choice. Crown is certainly non offensive, I just find it a bit bland.

Single malts are an acquired taste. You have to discover what flavors you like in your whiskey and then seek out Malts that fit your flavor profile. Then you can branch out into more...adventurous areas. I like quite a few of them.

My current open bottle is a bourbon. Russels Reserve Single Barrel. It's the only Wild Turkey product I like oddly enough, but I love it.

Posts: 2659 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have drank Canadian for years. I started with
Seagram 7, which is a blend, but switched to Lord Calvert Canadian and now prefer CR or one of the fancier CR labels. Good Bourbon is ok, but I prefer Canadian.

My son is a scotch drinker and has some very expensive samples, but I just do not like the stuff.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maxwayne,

Posts: 5681 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are some very good Canadian whiskeys out the these days. I would try some 40 Creek, and Legacy-- both are tasty. Canadian club puts out a 9 year old that's pretty damn good too, as well as a decent 100% rye, if you're into that.
All of the above run $20/fifth or less her in Michgan, except the 40 Creek, which is a couple bucks more and totally worth it.

"Shoot first, shoot fast, shoot straight, shoot last." -- attribution unknown (to me)

Posts: 269 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I drank a lot of Rich & Rare (R&R) over the years. It's dirt cheap and pretty dang good. If you've not tried VO, it's not bad either.

Once I could afford it I graduated to Crown and Crown Reserve. Wow that stuff is good.

But, I no longer drink the hard stuff and just stick with the occasional beer. I don't really like beer much, so I don't drink much at all these days.

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Whistle Pig Rye is a Canadian blend bottled in the USA. It is top shelf sipping whiskey. Pricey but very fine.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
COSTCO's Kirkland brand Canadian is very good. Not too dear at $31 for a 1.75 liter bottle.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20395 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:
Whistle Pig Rye is a Canadian blend bottled in the USA. It is top shelf sipping whiskey. Pricey but very fine.

Whistle pig is alberta premium bottles in the states and sold for 3.5x more. Great business model but Im not paying it. Bought the 10yr, its good, not 70$ good. Looking up prices on alberta premium its about 1$ per year aged. I need to do a Canada run!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Another fan of the Forty Creek, my go to sippin whisky

Posts: 5560 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
COSTCO's Kirkland brand Canadian is very good. Not too dear at $31 for a 1.75 liter bottle.

RMD

I like Crown, and I found the Kirkland Canadian tasted EXACTLY the same. However, they stopped selling it around here at Costco about a year ago. IIRC, it was $23 for a 1.75L. The label even looks like CR.

Posts: 5821 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I'm not much of a fan of Canadian Whiskey. I'll even go so far as to say that I hate Crown Royal.

Ditto. Every Canadian that I've tried had a "pine needle" overtone that put me off. I much prefer Irish. Bushmills Black Bush is excellent at a moderate price.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9477 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
<<snip>>
Never had or heard of Canadian Hunter.

Tastes practically identical to Canadian Mist, except it costs less...

Posts: 4789 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I drank a lot of Rich & Rare (R&R) over the years. It's dirt cheap and pretty dang good. <<snip>>

Yes, I really like R&R also. Just discovered the Canadian Hunter last week and it's about $2 per fifth less, so will stick with it for now over the R&R as long as it is available to me.

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Don't drink but maybe a couple drinks a month these days,but I drink black crown and ginger ale.
I have tried lots in my long life and this has the best taste for me.
Fifty years ago it was c c and water.

Posts: 22421 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post