SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Green salsa and tomatillo recipe's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Green salsa and tomatillo recipe's Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
We have made the green salsa but it is a bit to lemonie for my taste.
Looking for some good recipe's for both.

Please share yours.

Would like to eat some fresh and also can it.

Thank you.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My usual Salsa Verde recipe:

1. Go to grocery store.
2. Buy some Herdez Salsa Verde.
3. Enjoy.

Big Grin

They sell Herdez in most traditional grocery stores around here, but for those of you in more northern areas, you might have to order it online or go to a Mexican grocer (if you have those in your area).

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
We have a jar of Herdez green tomatillo we picked up just yesterday. Good stuff, and I’m a native El Pasoan and a bit of a snob about such things.

Posts: 17126 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've tinkered with this for several years and here is the version I've stuck with for over a year.

Notes:
  • My body stomach can't handle much garlic so most people should probably double the garlic.
  • I like to use both jalapenos and serranos so you get both early heat (jalapeno) and late heat (serrano) in each bite. If your grocer doesn't sell serranos just double the jalapenos.
    quote:
    Garden Fresh Tomatillo Salsa (aka Salsa Verde)

Ingredients:
  • Bunch of tomatillos (if out of season, you can use 28 oz can of tomatillos)
  • 1/2 white onion
  • 1 serrano pepper
  • 1 jalapeno pepper
  • Bunch of cilantro
  • 1 tbsp of lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp of lime juice
  • 1 clove of garlic (or 1/8 tsp of garlic powder)
  • 1/8 tsp of black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp of salt
  • Anaheim or poblano pepper (can save time and substitute one 4 oz. can of mild green chilies)

Recipe:
  • Preheat oven to 375
  • Husk each tomatillo and rinse off goo
  • Slice each tomatillo in half and place skin side up on foiled cookie sheet
  • Slice onion into chunks and place on foiled cookie sheet
  • Cut off top (stem end) of jalapenos, slice in half, remove seeds, and place of foiled cookie sheet
  • Cut off top (stem end) of serranos, slice in half, remove seeds, and place of foiled cookie sheet
  • If using fresh Anaheim or poblano pepper then cut off top (stem end) of pepper, slice in half, remove seeds, and place of foiled cookie sheet
  • Place cookie sheet in preheated oven for 20 minutes
  • Remove tomatillo skins (should be easy as most shrank and separated from meat)
  • Place skinless tomatillos, peppers, and onions in food processor
  • Add lemon juice, lime juice, garlic, black pepper, salt, cilantro, and (if using canned green chilis) green chilis to food processor
  • Pulse the food processor
  • Put in a covered container and refrigerate ~8 hours before serving or adjusting salt
  • Stir, sample, and season with salt to taste.
  • Protect and Serve

• Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post