SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking of trying the Linux thing....again
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of trying the Linux thing....again Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
The biggest hang up I see is the scanning.
And the tallest hurdle there is how I prefer to connect to this MF printer; over the network.
It just seems counter-intuitive to me to have a laptop & WiFi and then be chained to a big chunk of plastic, glass and lightbulbs.

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have been away from the UNIX world for a while, would like to try the Mint MATE for a project, but do not want to install it on a dedicated machine.

Questions for those of you who use it:

Can it be installed on a VM (Virtual Machine) hosted on OS X?

If so, how much drive space should I allocate when I create the VM?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Yes, V-Tail, Mint MATE on OS X, using a virtualization software product.

Smile

Download VirtualBox for Mac (free, open source) from this link

At time of writing , it's v6.1.4.
It's about 129Mb download .dmg package
When installing, security preferences to allow 'Oracle America' will need to be allowed.

VirtualBox will use about 255Mb of disk space and needs 1Gb to run.

Download Linux Mint MATE here

At time of writing, this is Mint 19.3, and is a 2Gb .ISO download.

Once installed to Virtual Box, will need 2Gb memory and 10Gb of disk space to run.

As a side note, for teaching, I use Parallels for Mac for virtualization, with a yearly license.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post