SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATC - Too Close for Missiles, Switching to Guns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATC - Too Close for Missiles, Switching to Guns Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
A laugh for your Tuesday

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard other ATC traffic, and some aren’t so forgiving. I really like this ATC didn’t instantly become offended, but even complemented the pilot for his wit. I wouldn’t doubt others would have reported this for investigation. Cudos to this ‘normal’ ATC!

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1178 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
I’ve heard other ATC traffic, and some aren’t so forgiving. I really like this ATC didn’t instantly become offended, but even complemented the pilot for his wit. I wouldn’t doubt others would have reported this for investigation. Cudos to this ‘normal’ ATC!
Just yesterday I called Santa Barbara approach asking for VFR flight following to Santa Paula. Lady controller came back and asked me to repeat the call sign. I did. She came back again, said I got stepped on and asked me to repeat the call sign again. This happened a couple times. Then she said, “IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO SANTA PAULA, THIS TRANSMISSION IS ***NOT*** for you. Say again the call sign.” After the few seconds it took to stop laughing, I said, “You just made my day. <call sign>”. She thanked me for my patience. I thanked her for hers. I hope she got as big a laugh out of it as I did.

ETA: Everybody has a bad day once in a while, but I’ve generally found controllers to be awfully forgiving as long as the offender is just dumb and not a jerk on top of it.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
If he had a visual, I guess the stealthy shit wasn’t working.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
One day many years ago we were enroute from Grand Junction, Colorado to Denver, at something like 23,000 ft. Center advised us of traffic at 12 o'clock, 20 miles, opposite direction flight of two B-1 bombers 1,000 feet above. Then shortly after that advised us the traffic was at 10 miles. My first officer pushed the mic button and said he had his camera ready, looking for traffic. Center replied, "In that case, turn 1 degree left, vectors". We split right down between the two bombers and had a great view!

Most controllers really are great.

Posts: 9457 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ That would be quite the sight

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Back in the late 1990's I was working as a contract software developer at BellSouth in the Birmingham AL area. Worked late, one Christmas Eve, to get everything wrapped up so I could take a few extra days off.

Got a late start, heading home to Florida. 2:00am or so, Christmas morning, beautiful weather, the V-Tail was purring along, smooth ride at 7,000', very little traffic, radio was quiet most of the time, until I get a call from Jacksonville Center for a hand-off: "8824M, slow moving traffic at your eleven o'clock, 8,000', opposite direction. Looks like a sleigh and eight, no, make that nine, reindeer. Contact Tallahassee approach <frequency>, Merry Christmas."

Me: "Traffic in sight (I lied), Merry Christmas to you."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the flight of F-35 were monitoring ATC and got a good laugh out of that too.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37976 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
ATC got rhythm Wink

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post