SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baseball Legend Pete Rose Has Passed Away At 83
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baseball Legend Pete Rose Has Passed Away At 83 Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Just saw the news Frown

Too bad he was never allowed to rehabilitate his reputation and get into the Baseball Hall of Fame

This pic is very iconic:

Posts: 34749 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
Hopefully they'll let him in now.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10378 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There is no "rehabilitation" for a professional sports player who bets on games in which they play. Pete Rose and pro baseball are not things about which I care much, but it is a matter of principle.

Posts: 109290 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
R.I.P. Charlie hustle

Posts: 1634 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Grew up just south of Cincinnati we went to a lot of games at Riverfront, and a few at Crosley, watched the Big Red Machine destroy the New York Yankees in the Series, snowed at the Riverfront game in Oct.

Charlie Hustle was my man, brother was a Bench fan, those were the teams....

And yeah he should be in the HOF....

Posts: 24398 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Baseball's all-time hit king! Screw the hall of fame... they cheapen it by keeping Rose out.

Posts: 2062 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I grew up outside Cincinnati and was a huge Reds fan. All he had to do was admit he bet on baseball and his team early on and he would’ve been reinstated and enshrined in the hall of fame.

He was a victim of his own conceit and had no one to blame but himself.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4024 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
Baseball's all-time hit king! Screw the hall of fame... they cheapen it by keeping Rose out.

Yep. At some point you have to forgive. God forgives, Jesus forgives, but not the MLB. Fuck em. RIP Charlie Hustle. On the field, you were in a very small group of players to ever play the game that includes Ty Cobb.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 13003 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 34749 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
My dad took us to see Pete Rose play in Pittsburgh. We were staunch Pirates fans but we both though Pete Rose was an awesome player.

Posts: 45582 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up just a few miles from where Pete was from. He was my favorite. I was fifteen and sixteen
years old in 1975 and 1976 during the Big Red Machine. Went to dozens of games.
I may be jaded because I'm a hometown fan, but let the man in now.
I don't think anyone will beat 4256.

Posts: 1351 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:

Yes, he should be in the HOF!

So should Barry Bonds.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
I grew up hating the Big Red Machine. I could not stand Pete Rose. It wasn't until I was older that I learned to appreciate his "never give up" attitude. If I could start a team from scratch and hand pick my players from any time in history, Pete would be the first player I selected. RIP Pete.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4896 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
He was THE greatest and should have been in the HOF long ago.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
He’ll be in next ballot. MLBs FU to Charlie Hustle.

Posts: 3018 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:

So should Barry Bonds.

No freaking way. Look at the size of his head when he was a rookie with the Pirates to the size of his melon as a Giant. Nothing to see here.

Posts: 1351 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:

As one who kept a big red machine scrap book... ^this.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5680 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
Hopefully they'll let him in now.

Hopefully we can stop having to debate it forever.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12747 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
RIP Charlie Hustle.
A great for sure...who made some mistakes. Forgive and forget I say.
IIRC, he never bet against his team. He bet they would win...

Posts: 5822 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
RIP Charlie Hustle.
A great for sure...who made some mistakes. Forgive and forget I say.
IIRC, he never bet against his team. He bet they would win...

They never proved he bet against his team.

Posts: 7131 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post