SIGforum
Electrical/wiring question

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2160058434

December 19, 2017, 10:08 AM
MattW
Electrical/wiring question
We have a useless light outside that displays our house number within a wall when turned on. I would like to remove that light and install a GFI so that I can run some low voltage landscape lighting. What's the process to switch that light out for an all weather GFI? Simple plug and play or more to it?
December 19, 2017, 10:12 AM
Some Shot
Is it sitting over a 2X4 box? Is it switched? Does it have at least three wires to it? Picture?
December 19, 2017, 10:18 AM
MattW
The light is recessed within a stucco wall, little ~3" x 4" light. It is controlled by a switch from inside the front door. I can snap some pictures later when I get home. Unsure on wires, not a problem to pull it apart later however.
December 19, 2017, 10:31 AM
Skins2881
If it's a rectangular (switch or outlet) box - easy just install GFI and Inuse cover, if it's a round box, it's much more difficult.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
December 19, 2017, 11:10 AM
straightshooter01
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
If it's a rectangular (switch or outlet) box - easy just install GFI and Inuse cover, if it's a round box, it's much more difficult.

As an aside, you can also choose to remove the indoor switch to prevent accidental turning off of power to the GFCI. Simply remove the switch, wire nut the wires together, and put a solid cover plate on the indoor switch box.