SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electrical/wiring question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electrical/wiring question Login/Join 
posted
We have a useless light outside that displays our house number within a wall when turned on. I would like to remove that light and install a GFI so that I can run some low voltage landscape lighting. What's the process to switch that light out for an all weather GFI? Simple plug and play or more to it?

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it sitting over a 2X4 box? Is it switched? Does it have at least three wires to it? Picture?

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The light is recessed within a stucco wall, little ~3" x 4" light. It is controlled by a switch from inside the front door. I can snap some pictures later when I get home. Unsure on wires, not a problem to pull it apart later however.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If it's a rectangular (switch or outlet) box - easy just install GFI and Inuse cover, if it's a round box, it's much more difficult.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
If it's a rectangular (switch or outlet) box - easy just install GFI and Inuse cover, if it's a round box, it's much more difficult.

As an aside, you can also choose to remove the indoor switch to prevent accidental turning off of power to the GFCI. Simply remove the switch, wire nut the wires together, and put a solid cover plate on the indoor switch box.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post