Find
Notify
Tools

FireFox Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
Has finally gotten on my last functional nerve. Slow, laggy; I have no idea what it is doing behind the scenes. I deactivated every addon I am willing to do without to no avail. On Ad Blocker and a password manager remain and they caused no issues in the past.

Chrome, I'm going to try to learn to love you!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20388 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Firefox works very well for me.

Have not intentionally added any of those "add-ons".

It is fast. I tried Chrome a couple years ago, hated it.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like malware. Virus, trojan, spamware, etc.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
Sounds like malware. Virus, trojan, spamware, etc.

Agreed. I've used Firefox since 0.2 or something like that and have never had a problem.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3066 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Try to create an alternate profile with no addons at all and see how it performs. Then add you're preferred add-ons one at a time to make sure they are not slowing your install down. If it works better, import your passwords and favorites from your old profile and delete it in favor of the new one.

https://support.mozilla.org/en...ove-firefox-profiles

Posts: 3466 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I use Firefox. I also use NoScript and regularly scan with MSE.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
What are these AddOns you can't do without?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I've been using Pale Moon so that I can still use firefox addons.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4358 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Skeptic
Picture of Mike the Texan
posted Hide Post
Firefox without addons works ok for me. Adblocker Plus keeps the annoying parts under control.

quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:

I don't usually do this, but qxsoup, your avatar is 1024x585, which is quite a bit more than 60x60. It's very slow to load. Can you shrink it down for the rest of us?

Posts: 220 | Location: Near a white sand beach. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's not the browser or browser addons. Maybe it's antivirus, antimalware software added to the operating system?

Posts: 4830 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Try the new Microsoft Edge browser; it's pretty fast and reminds me of how FF USED to be.

Posts: 34541 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I can't think of a single instance on this or any other forum where someone with a complaint like the OPs didn't turn out to be caused by something OTHER than the browser.

Netscape / Firefox / Waterfox user since inception. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have used Firefox with Adblocker for years and never had a problem.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Ad Block Plus, UBlock, and a password manager.

As for malware, I have scanned this damn system with everything I can find including MalWareBytes and regularly run an antivirus and firewall. This happened about the time Comcast ("Spectrum") took over Brighthouse, so it may be related to that.

Chrome is much faster on my machine, but, there is the heartbreak of getting used to another browser.

Somehow, I think I will live.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20388 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I can't think of a single instance on this or any other forum where someone with a complaint like the OPs didn't turn out to be caused by something OTHER than the browser.

Netscape / Firefox / Waterfox user since inception. Smile

My brother believes that home computers should "do everything they are capable of". And it doesn't matter the computer is doing everything he needs it to do, he just keeps adding on stuff ... multiple anti this and anti that, registry/file checkers and deleters, every kind of background running app that literally pops up, etc etc.

Then he wonders why his browser is "messed up". I can't help him. Not only that, I run linux so I don't have to mess with all that stuff. Would never work for him. Not enough stuff to waste time and uselessly/endlessly fiddle with and make sure all that stuff is up to date/updated several times a day/week in linux. He's used to fiddling ... a lot.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hobbs,

Posts: 4830 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Ad Block Plus, UBlock, and a password manager.

Why AdBlock Plus and UBlock (Origin)? They both do the same thing and probably are fighting with each other causing you your problems. Drop one or the other and undoubtedly your problem will go away.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Ad Block Plus, UBlock

I was a huge fan of Ad Block Plus and still find it works really well.

That said, I too run UBlock, but have dropped Ad Block Plus.They both use the same ad filters, so why run both? Ad Block Plus is more simple plug and play. UBlock is simple plug and play too but through the UBlock dashboard (click on bar at top in UBlock drop down), so much more is available although I leave it in the default state. Personally I would pick one but not run both. Aside from any conflicts, it can't be good for browser speed.

I stuck with UBlock because it's said to be lighter and use less resources than Ad Block Plus in addition to being more customizable.

In addition to UBlock for ad blocking, I also use the basic (free) version of Disconnect for privacy. Those two are the only two addons I need on a continual basis. I have a couple of other addons but only need them every now and then, so they are disabled in Firefox and only enable when they are specifically needed.

Disconnect: https://disconnect.me/

EDIT: I was composing my post when bald1 posted. We're saying the same thing about running both Ad Block Plus and UBlock at the same time.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Last week an anomaly popped up in UBlock and I almost went back to Ad Block Plus but found something out ...

On my computer, UBlock started allowing some ads on some sites it had previously blocked ads on. I found that by going into the UBlock user dashboard (click on the drop down black bar that says UBlock Origin ver xxxx) and tabbing to "3rd-party filters", there is a button at the top called "Purge all caches" ... once I purged the cache, closed and reopened the browser, UBlock worked correctly again and I've had no further issues.

Which leads to another idea ... from Firefox Preferences, clear everything you can, cache history and whatever else. Prolly won't help much but prolly won't hurt either.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Sorry for all the multiple posts, dangit ...

There appears to be more than one UBlock available as an addon. At least one is an older fork of the original. If you use UBlock, make sure it is UBlock Origin.

This one ... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-...addon/ublock-origin/

As for browsers, on my computer, Google Chrome is wonderful. Only issue is that I find Google to be too "snoopy". Additionally, if you use a profile and log into that browser profile when you use the browser ... and without getting into the nuts and bolts of it ... I believe stored data in browser profiles such as passwords for example, is more secure in Firefox than Chrome. I guess if I were looking only for the faster more integrated of the two, I'd have to go with Chrome, but there are other considerations and that's why I stick with Firefox.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I don't recall adding Unlock. Its just there. I never allow the browser to store PW. I use separate SW to manage them.

RMD