SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2021 Chevy Silverado vs GMC Sierra 1500 opinions..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2021 Chevy Silverado vs GMC Sierra 1500 opinions.. Login/Join 
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted
Hello all,
I thought I would see what the SigForum consensus/opinions are on these 2 trucks. I have narrowed it down to these 2 models in RST/Z71 and Elevation X31 trims. I am leaning towards the 5.3 V8 but I recently test drove the Duramax diesel and was impressed. I am looking to see if anyone here has these models and the reasons why they went with it. There seems to be varied pricing and deals in different parts of the country. Thanks for any and all insight. I’m thinking I will wait for September Labor Day for the best deals. Thanks.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
So you are talking 3/4 ton?

Curious what narrowed you down to GM? I am guessing always a GM guy? I can think of no other reason.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19223 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
^^1500 would mean 1/2 ton.

Between those 2, I would have to say GMC Sierra. I just can't stand the look of the Z71.

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
posted Hide Post
Yes a 1500. My first and only truck was a 2000 Ram and I loved it, however I despise the electronic wheel shifter. Only option is Ford or Chevy and I’ve never had a Ford and I just prefer the Chevy/GMC over them.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Is GM doing a scaled down duramax diesel on the 1/2 ton now? I would be very leary of it at this point if so. The dodge version has been a bit of a flop from what I can tell.

In a 1/2 ton I would prefer a Toyota over any of the big three every day of the week. I do not think you would need to pay a premium for one either. The Tundra is a real truck. If comfort, bells and whistles are what you are after than a Tord. then Chevy are what you want.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I'm a Chevy truck fanboy and would drive either one, but I am a huge fan of the 5.3L Chevy smallblock. Just a great engine.

I personally like the looks of the bowtie more than the GM. Like the hood line and grill a lot better. The rest is basically the same.

My first truck was a 1988 Silverado and I have had an S10, a Blazer, and two Z71's since then. Current DD is a 2009 Z71 with 176k on it. Been a great truck.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10493 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Is GM doing a scaled down duramax diesel on the 1/2 ton now? I would be very leary of it at this point if so. The dodge version has been a bit of a flop from what I can tell.

In a 1/2 ton I would prefer a Toyota over any of the big three every day of the week. I do not think you would need to pay a premium for one either. The Tundra is a real truck. If comfort, bells and whistles are what you are after than a Tord. then Chevy are what you want.

Just out of curiosity, why such a strong feeling towards Tundra?
I have owned late model Silverado and F150.
Currently own a 2018 Tundra.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
There is a bunch of reasons. But a couple of the main ones are

Toyata's longevity and resale value.
None of the others even come close.

How many Toyota's do you pass on the highway that have lights out vs Chevy. 100:1, 1000:1.
This is not a bulb issue.
What about paint issues.
Major component failures. Engines, transmissions, fuel pumps, starters, you name it.

Are Chevy, Ford and Dodges decent rigs. Sure.

Just my opinion.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I haven’t bought one since 2018, but back then a Chevy could be bought several thousand cheaper than the essentially equivalent GMC, at least at the dealerships in the San Antonio area.

That truck I bought was for my bride. A crew cab 4wd half ton 5.3L with pretty nice option package. It typically got a little over 20mpg on the highway. And she didn’t tend to spare the ponies. We never had any trouble whatsoever with it up til we traded it in at around 85k miles, on a vehicle that was easier for her to get in and out of after her brain surgery.

Posts: 26933 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:

How many Toyota's do you pass on the highway that have lights out vs Chevy. 100:1, 1000:1.
What about paint issues.
Major component failures. Engines, transmissions, fuel pumps, starters, you name it.

Just my opinion.

I think that the Tundra is going to be refreshed for 2022. There are some leaked photos on TFL now.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

What about paint issues.

Just my opinion.

Can’t disagree with you on the reliability aspect. Toyota’s are very reliable.
But personally I can’t say anything negative about my f150, purchased it with 50k miles sold with 112k miles. Never had any issues with it, basic maintenance only in the time I had it.
Same thing with the 2014 Silverado.
I tow 6-8k couple times a month, I will say that, to me, the Ford towed that it the best.
But I do like my tundra.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d get the Toyota. ISIS & the Taliban seem to abuse the heck out of Toyotas, very few breakdowns!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

Bought a new pickup in the 70s. A friend looked at it and said, “You couldn’t decide whether you wanted a GMC or a Chevy, could you?”

One side had GMC badges; the other had chevy badges. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Of the 2 which do you like the looks of better and which options.
They are pretty much the same truck otherwise.

Though I am in the boat of take a look at the Tundra.

I have owned both Ford and Chevy truck platforms. We currently have a Suburban and a Tundra. I prefer the Tundra over all the other trucks.

The 5.7L paired with the 4.30 rear is great.

The 5.3L is a good motor and I far prefer the 5.3L in my 2000 Silverado to our 2015 Suburban.

I believe that 2021 models still have cylinder deactivation but I could be wrong and I absolutely loathed that nonsense and deleted it.

Work truck is a 2020 Tahoe and I still prefer my 2014 Tundra drivetrain.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25435 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're not a fan of cylinder deactivation and auto start/stop you may want to buy before the chip shortage is over. Many of the new GM trucks don't have these features due to the shortage and you get a whopping $50 discount for each missing feature.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3544 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Run away from the 3.0 Duramax. I’ve had techs at several stealerships tell me the DEF system issues aren’t worked out, but they are many.

DEF filters aren’t cheap, DEF crystalizes in the system, it’s a lot of extra maintenance cost and hassle.

Get the gas, get a programmer and switch off the v-4 mode and turn up your power… smallblock v8 is tried and true.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
posted Hide Post
That’s good info. I was leaning towards the 5.3 just because it’s been around awhile and reliable. Any members here salesman send me an email.

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I had the 5.3 in a 2000 Silverado. I really liked that engine.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5047 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have owned a couple F150s in the last decade. Nice trucks. I worked with a number of guys who bought Chev 1/2 tons and had lots of problems. They ended up with Fords or Toyota trucks and never looked back.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4235 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Having owned many Silverados over the last few decades my advice for what is now being sold today is.... the Tundra.

No doubt. No hesitation. I got tired of the drivetrain problems in 3 of 4 of the most recent Silverados. The newest version is nigh undrivable if you enjoy the driving experience. Not just me The worst truck of 2021? there are 2 - the Silverado and the Sierra

"What accounts for such a low score? The predicted reliability came in at only one out of five, while the predicted owner satisfaction was only a three out of five.

The list of full-size pickup trucks is not very long. And to be fair, none of the trucks on this list have great scores from Consumer Reports. However, we would suggest the 2021 Ram 1500 or the 2021 Toyota Tundra if you are in a pinch and need to buy right now. These are the first and second trucks on the list."

I walk to my Tundra twice a day, at least, with a smile on my face every time. First truck I've really and fully enjoyed in years.

If you can grab still one of the last model year you can get a fully tested v8. If you get the new one you get a twin turbo v6.

I'd stay away from the diesel. They are European designed, but have incompatibilities with US diesel supply, especially if any water at all gets in the system. The word is out around here and dealers with diesels have been comparatively desperate to trade away the diesels they get for gas models - though the chip shortage has covered up this disparity of demand of late.

iSee Cars found that the Tundra is the longest-lasting pickup among its segment. An impressive 2.9% of models surpassed 200,000-miles, which is better than average for the full-size truck segment.

It's made in Texas.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post