SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2021 Chevy Silverado vs GMC Sierra 1500 opinions..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2021 Chevy Silverado vs GMC Sierra 1500 opinions.. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I bought a new Chevy truck in 2018. My first choice was a Tundra and I shopped the hell out of them but they were on average $4k more than a similar domestic truck. I just couldn't pay that much more. These trucks are already outrageously expensive.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3544 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
A senior tech at a local Chevy dealer told me “honestly, I’d stay away from anything 2019 and newer”.

Frown

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by njauto:
Yes a 1500. My first and only truck was a 2000 Ram and I loved it, however I despise the electronic wheel shifter. Only option is Ford or Chevy and I’ve never had a Ford and I just prefer the Chevy/GMC over them.

Just an FYI for you. Ram will have a GT package for their 1500 that will come with a console shifter next year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Paten,

Posts: 3390 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I bought a new Chevy truck in 2018. My first choice was a Tundra and I shopped the hell out of them but they were on average $4k more than a similar domestic truck. I just couldn't pay that much more. These trucks are already outrageously expensive.

I always thought the same and then I bought the Tundra.
If you are looking at a CrewMax the fact that the rear window rolls all the way down vs. just a mini slider is worth every penny of that $4k.

The better reliability and huge resale value compared to the others is just a plus!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25435 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
When I was in my 18-month search for a new truck, I noticed more chrome on the Silverado; wanted a more subdued look and went with Sierra.

A buddy has the 3.0 Duramax and loves it. Beats the snot out of his white debadged Denali.

The local utility subcontractor crews replacing gas distribution mains and branches has been a fixture; chatting with one of their drivers [90% waiting] about diesel pickups, he says the "Allison transmission" in those GMCs is not a true Allison; still, I like the badge even if it is a Hecho En Mexico transmission.

I've got the last year they used the true "small block V8" in a Sierra, the L20 4.8L V8, along with another last, the 4L60E 4-speed automatic transmission. Sixes were just coming out; now what's the norm, 8-speed? More work for transmission shops. The local shop owner rattled off a list of issues with the newer transmissions; nothing but praise for the older transmission.

If I was shopping for a truck I'd look at 1] factory-ordered, and 2] GMC & Ford, and 3] wait 18 months before placing an order.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
How many Toyota's do you pass on the highway that have lights out vs Chevy. 100:1, 1000:1.
This is not a bulb issue.

It is an unusual sight to see any of the GM half ton line (Silverado, Sierra, Yukon, Suburban, Tahoe) with both DRLs working.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
That new Ram shifter looks good! I know the Tundra is nice, I really like the look and I’m sure it’s built better, I’m just old school and can’t do a Japanese pick up truck.. I know this is the worse possible time to purchase but my car is a 2008 with 120k miles. I will have this truck for 10 plus years.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^The Tundras are made in Texas. Many of the full sized GMC and Chevys are made in Mexico.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3977 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by njauto:
That new Ram shifter looks good! I know the Tundra is nice, I really like the look and I’m sure it’s built better, I’m just old school and can’t do a Japanese pick up truck.. I know this is the worse possible time to purchase but my car is a 2008 with 120k miles. I will have this truck for 10 plus years.

Dude, I was the same. I hear you. I really hope You will heed the warnings that black, I and others are giving you. Tundra is more made in America than many"American" vehicles and if your experience turns out anything like mine over most of three recent Silverado then you will find the bowtie on the grill to be of precious little comfort when you're sitting on the side of the road broken down having two weeks before sat in the manager's office for the 3rd time telling them that there is a drivetrain problem, even if his mechanics can't find it., if I had thought that I could get 10 working years out of a new Chevy or gmc and enjoy driving it then I'd have a Chevy. Instead I have a much more solid and dependable truck that I love looking at and driving and expect to Have for 30 years

GM is trying to overcome design deficiencies with electronics as the solution. It isn't working.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would get the GMC, around here the GM trucks hold their value very well. I really like the 5.3 and 6.2 V8's especially with the 10 speed.

Posts: 426 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
First I wouldn't get anything 2021. Too many quality control issues with parts and vehicles after the Covid shutdowns. I follow a lot of youtube and tiktok accounts dealing with autos and everyone is saying the quality right now is way off, no matter the make.

quote:
he says the "Allison transmission" in those GMCs is not a true Allison

Correct. The current "Allison" transmission was designed and built by GM and sent to "Allison" for testing/certification only. Since GM owns "Allison" they had to play ball. So unlike the original "Allison" transmission in GM trucks, this new one is only badged Allison.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4523 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 with the CarbonPro package (has the carbon composite bed liner, amongst other items) three months ago and it’s been great. I think these are the best looking trucks out there.

It has the 3.0 Duramax and it’s been an excellent engine. I’m getting 18 - 20 MPG around town and it tows my 6,500lb trailer with ease.

I’ve added an additional 2” lift to the suspension (the AT4 comes standard with a 2” lift) and put on some 33” tires.

Overall, it drives great, has great tech, and is comfortable. I’m really happy with it. I traded in my 2018 Yukon Denali for it and haven’t looked back since.

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
posted Hide Post
Wow! Beautiful truck there! I like the gray/silver colors also. Good to hear you like it so far also.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a gorgeous truck, and it matches the trailer very well. Congrats!

Posts: 426 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Calif Phil:
around here the GM trucks hold their value very well.

An interesting note: Looking for a used 6.5' cap to fit an '07-13 Sierra was a challenge. Far more Silverados around here. But driving across the country May/June, I saw, for instance, in Indiana, loads more Sierras than here.

Finally did locate a true chicken coop find 40 minutes to the NW, an '08 ARE Z-series in white with the fold-in front window (for cleaning). Used for three years then stored for ten. New pistons $35 and two keys $10, wash off a decade of dust and find the factory wax finish, and it's like brand new.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
posted Hide Post
Just figured I would give a quick update. I ended up doing something I never thought I would… I purchased a 2020 Silverado RST loaded with 12k miles from online seller Vroom. There prices simply can’t be beat in this market and I even got a finance rate better than the dealers. I hope to take delivery by the end of next week. So far, very pleased with the process.