SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Indiana Man Finds Burglar Crushed by 900-Pound Safe in His Home
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Indiana Man Finds Burglar Crushed by 900-Pound Safe in His Home Login/Join 
posted
I guess the dead man's family should sue the safe manufacturer now.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/...is-home_2839606.html

Indiana Man Finds Burglar Crushed by 900-Pound Safe in His Home

Police said an Indiana man found an intruder dead in his home—trapped under his family’s 900-pound safe.

Officials at the Marion Police Department said in a statement that George Hollingsworth found the body of the would-be burglar on Wednesday, March 13, “lying underneath an antique floor safe.”

Hollingsworth made the grisly discovery a day after he first reported the break-in to police.

“My mind couldn’t comprehend it. This can’t be real. It’s like some strange tale,” the man told Fox59.

I’m Thinking — He’s Dead’

The homeowner was checking his property—located about 70 miles north of Indianapolis—to determine what had been stolen after the robbery and was “cleaning the clutter in his garage.” That’s when Hollingsworth discovered his safe—which was suspended by a floor jack—had been knocked over.

“Upon further inspection Mr. Hollingsworth found a body lying underneath the safe,” the police said.

“I came in and told my wife, ‘I think we’ve got a dead body out there.’ She thought I was kidding,” said Hollingsworth, according to Fox59.

The man’s wife called 911.

“The officer walked in and said, ‘Buddy. Hey buddy,'” said Hollingsworth. “I’m thinking he’s dead. Come on now.”

The fire department had to be called to lift the safe and remove the man’s body, according to the police.

Hollingsworth said even if the burglar had succeeded in stealing the massive safe, it would have been pointless.

“There’s nothing in it. It’s empty. It’s just one my dad had,” he said. “What a horrible way to die,” he added, according to Fox59.

The identity of the deceased man has not been released, pending notification of family members, the Indianapolis Star reported.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Burglar was crushed by a floor safe “suspended by a floor jack”?

Another incredibly skilled news writer.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ckGwu5TWuuM

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Report This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
We had a local burglary several years back. Business owners came in the next morning and found the safe near the front door. It was intact and nothing else was missing. Police were a little ho-hum about it since nothing was gone and there wasn't any real evidence.

They call one of my competitors to come move the safe back to where it came from, and when they did they found a mans finger squished between it and the floor.

They called the police back to tell them they found some new evidence, and the perpetrator was tracked down to a local ER.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Report This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Cleanup on Aisle 5!

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Burgler's family filing a lawsuit in

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I almost feel bad about laughing about this guy receiving his karma due. Almost.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Every once in a while, some of my thieves were injured when the vending machine they were attempting to break into tipped over on them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
It’s safe to say he’s dead.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

Must be a heavy loss for his family.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope the safe and floor are okay.

“There’s nothing in it. It’s empty. It’s just one my dad had,”
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Report This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Balance extremely heavy objects on floor jacks...It sounds like a wonderful loophole to the boobytrap prohibition.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15574 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Report This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
Sail cat burglar.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4788 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
a floor safe “suspended by a floor jack”

What a bad "combination".

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Report This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:

Poor writing / research for sure.

I am wondering if the safe was stored “suspended by a floor jack” or if the burglar was attempting to move it using whatever he found handy in the garage.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2082 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I imagine he found an engine hoist, if it was a furniture dolly or other, those aren't "jacks."

Self correcting problem anyway.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
quote:

Poor writing / research for sure.

I am wondering if the safe was stored “suspended by a floor jack” or if the burglar was attempting to move it using whatever he found handy in the garage.
More poor writing: "Officials at the Marion Police Department said in a statement that George Hollingsworth found the body of the would-be burglar..." The intruder was a still a burglar, regardless of his death.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Report This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
quote:

Surely, they're crushed.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Report This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
quote:

Surely, they're crushed.

By the weight of all this...

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9688 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Report This Post