SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    UPS handgun shipment from non-FFL
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPS handgun shipment from non-FFL Login/Join 
Picture of joshs74nova
posted
I've got a few guns I wanted to list on gunbroker. After I sell them can I ship directly from me to their FFL through UPS? My UPS store told me no. Years ago I thought I used them but guess I was wrong. Do I need a special box for this?

Thanks in advance for your answers. It's been a while for me.

Posts: 325 | Location: Pearl, MS | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I believe you can ship it FedEx Overnight, but that would be expensive vs sending it from your FFL to another via USPS at a much lower rate.

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Does the buyers ffl accept from an individual? If so, you'll have to ship overnight (expensive) via FEDEX or UPS. You have to use a 'hub' not a 'store'.

If you use an ffl at your end and an ffl at the buyers end, your ffl can ship much less expensively through USPS.

https://support.shippingeasy.c...S-UPS-FedEx-Overview

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Quite often a higher volume FFL will get a better rate and have the experience to know the best methods. Also some FFL's don't want to receive from non-FFL's.

Posts: 9546 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
You can use UPS to send to the buyer's FFL (as mentioned above, make sure their FFL will accept from a civilian), but the UPS Stores will not accept the package. You have to take it to an actual UPS location, like a customer center or hub.
You might want to check out Ship My Gun...

LINK

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3931 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can send handguns through UPS without a FFL. However, you can't ship guns through a UPS Store specifically. The UPS Store is not actually UPS, they're just a contracted/franchised third party. (Same with FedEx and FedEx Office.)

Guns have to be shipped through a UPS terminal/hub, usually called a "UPS Customer Center". And with handguns being shipped through a UPS hub, it has to go Overnight. Next Day Air Saver is usually the cheapest option with UPS, but depending on how far it's going, expect it to be $60-$100.

It is significantly cheaper to have a FFL ship it for you. FFLs can send them through other means, including USPS Priority Mail. Depending on the size of the handgun and its box, that can be as little as ~$20 with insurance. So even if they charge an additional $20ish transfer fee, you're still saving money compared to UPSing it yourself.

If you don't have a local FFL to work with, then https://www.shipmygun.com/ is a good alternative. Potentially slightly more than a local FFL, but cheaper than doing it yourself through UPS Overnight.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joshs74nova
posted Hide Post
Would I be better off paying my FFL to ship it for me? They seem to be pretty fair to deal with. Typical transfers cost me $20.

Thank you to everyone for such a quick response!

Posts: 325 | Location: Pearl, MS | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joshs74nova:
Would I be better off paying my FFL to ship it for me? They seem to be pretty fair to deal with. Typical transfers cost me $20.

This is what I do to avoid any complications. It costs me a little bit more but I like knowing things are done correctly. Paying for piece of mind I guess... Smile

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3931 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I believe UPS says you have to send handguns overnight. At least that is how is was not too long ago. That was to protect them from being stolen by their employee's. Which is definitely a problem. I would read their fine print very carefully. You do not want to find yourself with a stolen handgun on your hand's. When it happens ups will be of absolutely no help. Ymmv, but I would tread very carefully. Do your homework.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19245 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you have a long standing relationship with an ffl, generally yes. My ffl would only charge me for same day usps shipping, so it was usually $20-30. Sadly he retired and I haven't found another like him.

Most shops around me want $45-$65+ to transfer and ship. Some refuse to ship, it's to 'inconvenient'.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would I be better off paying my FFL to ship it for me?

Generally, yes. (Though I'm sure there may be some FFLs out there that want to charge you an arm and a leg for that.)

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
quote:

If you have a long standing relationship with an ffl, generally yes. My ffl would only charge me for same day usps shipping, so it was usually $20-30. Sadly he retired and I haven't found another like him.

Most shops around me want $45-$65+ to transfer and ship. Some refuse to ship, it's to 'inconvenient'.

So basically he was doing it for free, nice of him to do that. I charge $40 plus actual shipping and insurance charges. I need to make packaging up and dropping them off worth my time.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
UPS store

Financially you'd be better off having a FFL ship it. They have other means not available to those not holding a FFL.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Try shipmygun.com

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
Try shipmygun.com

That's what I was going to post. I used www.shipmygun.com to ship a pistol after I sold it and the process was smooth and much cheaper than I could have sent it myself. IIRC it costed me about $40 - $50 for UPS shipping.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had used shipmygun 3 years ago without a problem.Last week I entered all the info for a new label and they took my credit card info. Never received the label, the company would not respond to emails and I was on hold for an hour by phone trying to talk with someone, So I don't know if they are over loaded or out of business. After a week waiting on shipmygun I ended up taking it to an FFL to ship.

Posts: 12739 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
take a look at this thread about shipping Link

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've got a few guns I wanted to list on gunbroker. After I sell them can I ship directly from me to their FFL through UPS? My UPS store told me no. Years ago I thought I used them but guess I was wrong. Do I need a special box for this?

Thanks in advance for your answers. It's been a while for me.

The UPS store tend to be weenies. You want to go to the UPS Customer Center (aka depot). If the FFL will accept guns from an individual, then have enough of his FFL # to use the FFL EZ check website to verify the FFL is valid, go to the UPS CC and give then that information so they can verify the FFL and you’re good to go. If you want bonus points, you can take the URL for the FFL EZ Check website in case the counter person isn’t sure how to verify an FFL.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, can get your FFL to ship it, but find out the fees they charge, shipping is less but you also have to pay the FFL a fee. When I did it, it was cheaper to go to the fedex or UPS hub and ship it overnight, as the FFL fees added more to it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have an internet sales department. We routinely ship at cost, as we have plenty of packing materials from incoming shipments. It's well worth in from a customer relations standpoint; we have customers who routinely buy such guns as Cesar Guerini and STI.

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post