SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My son's journey is nearing completion, he starts the Crucible at 2am Pacific.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My son's journey is nearing completion, he starts the Crucible at 2am Pacific. Login/Join 
posted
It has been a long and rocky road to this point. I am excited that his hard work and dedication are about to be tested and proven. For those who have served, and for those parents, spouses, and children of those who have served, thank you!

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Congrats to him.
Crucible wasn't super fun to do.
I think the worst part was the sleep deprivation.
I can remember taking a hit of tabasco sauce just to help me stay awake during some of those night humps.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1543 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahh, The Crucible. Some fond memories! Congratulations to your son!

Their final climb up one of the hills, receiving their Eagle/Globe/Anchor at the top, followed by the Warrior's Breakfast make it all worthwhile.

Posts: 490 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Semper Fi!

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your son on becoming a Marine.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I was in the last company to go through prior to the crucible in Parris Island. We did certain elements of it, but not in the aspect of what it is now.

Ooh Rah! to your son, for when he comes out the other side, he will have earned the title of Marine. Semper Fi.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Good summary of the event here.

http://www.marinebootcamphq.com/crucible.html

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
You can rightly be proud of your young Marine. Congratulations to him and to the parents who raised a patriot.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Congrats. He will do well. My son said he cried like a baby when he went to the EGA ceremony after the Crucible.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
They could sell tickets and donate the money to a Marine charity. I would certainly pay to watch the courses.

Probably keep the EGA ceremony private though. That should be the recruits moment.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Out-freaking-standing!!! Proud of ALL of you!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Just curious, I served but not in the Marine Corp, what is the washout rate for the Crucible? From the link posted by RHINOWSO it appears to very grueling and demanding. Hopefully it is very low?

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Good luck and embrace the suck!! Yes it will suck and for a while for him it will be the measure for how bad things can be and that he got through it. If he goes on for combat arms specialty, eventually other training or combat action will surpass the suck of the Crucible on his individual "leader" board of "it really sucks" experiences.

Congratulations to your son in a couple days!!!

Posts: 3940 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
Just curious, I served but not in the Marine Corp, what is the washout rate for the Crucible? From the link posted by RHINOWSO it appears to very grueling and demanding. Hopefully it is very low?

That far along in training, not much. Everyone just wants to get out of boot camp. I went through it at Parris Island. A fellow recruit was complaining his ankle was hurt. After our EGA ceremony, he got checked out. His ankle wasn’t hurt, it was broken. He still finished.

To the OP, welcome to the family. Please add some graduation pics in the near future. Congrats on your young Marine.

Semper Fi,
Smith

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:

Yes, it is grueling and demanding, but it’s not like say a BUD’s Entry Course where they are trying to break you. This is the culmination of boot camp, and it’s designed as a team building event to instill the “Esprit de Corps”.

Posts: 490 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
How fun for him!

The Crucible was way after my time...and I'm glad. I've seen several shows on it, and I don't want any part in it. Other than all of the fun festivities, the lack of sleep would kill me.

Semper fidelis, to you son!

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1178 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not too much longer. Graduation ceremony will be 9/6. Thanks everyone for the well wishes and thank you again for your service. I absolutely hate stickers and other things on my car, but this is beyond how I feel and before this as all said and done there will be Marine Corp representation on my vehicle. Thank you again.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Best wishes and congrats to your son! And a big congrats to mom and dad for raising a fine man!

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the new Marine. Semper Fi

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Congrats. The graduation ceremony is truly something. We saw both of our sons graduate as Marines from Parris Island.
Please thank him from our entire veteran family and thank you for raising a soon to be Marine!

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post