SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dealing with shady restoration company and their ethics
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dealing with shady restoration company and their ethics Login/Join 
posted
This is not so much a rant but more for people to take notice of shady companies.

I was looking to replace some tiles in my shower stall in my house but when I started removing the glass shower door, some of the side/wall tiles just fell ride off. Long story short I had to gut the shower stall due to leaking copper pipes. I called a plumbing company to see how bad it was and he told me to call my home owners insurance as it I needed to file a claim, as it will need some major work. The plumbing company is very reputable in my area and many people I know personally have been very satisfied with their work and costs,even my home owner's insurance company.

They then said I will need to call a "dry out" company as there is a problem with moisture as well. He gave me a company name and would call them, as he has heard they from people in his church that they were happy with them(I am sure he works with them and gets a kick back, so no shock there). They came out right away and started getting ready to fix the issues.

I asked them for a quote and he gave me a estimate by email. The price he gave said it was for a cash price,(which I thought was high for the minimal work to be done), and asked if that price was the cost they would send to my insurance company as well. Of course they said no. They said in the email, we would charge the insur. company more and they would share the profit with me and give me 30% back- Eek . Right then, alarms went off in my head. I know this happens all of the time, companies billing more and people/homeowner getting some kind of kickback/extra money, but I am not looking to make any money on this but only have my shower back. I try to be an honest person and only want what is fair.

I then called my insurance comp. and spoke to my claims adjuster and he told me to cancel them as they bill really high and even have a "benefit of claim" clause ( I think that is what he said). I never heard of that but was told because they charge a high price to fix the area and then they try to sue the insurance company for there high charges. Someone else told me they try to make every job a " home run " and because of this clause, they can. So I immediately cancel their contract. I contacted that company by email, so I have a time stamp, with a letter attached saying to come get their stuff as I will not need their services anymore and I am cancelling the contract.

I am not naive, but who puts in writing/email they are trying to run a scam/insurance fraud? I gave a copy of the emails this company sent to me to my claims adjuster and hope my insurance company put the screws to them. I have had a couple small business ventures earlier in my life but am amazed at the greed/stupid in some people/companies and how they try to work off the greed of others.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patw,

Posts: 6904 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m in the industry, and while not common, I’ve heard of stories such as yours. Is this a national company/franchise or an independently owned/one off shop?

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent 10 years doing water and fire damage work.
This last year I had a leak in our shower. Jan 2018, I finally finished the whole job Jan 2019.

I fired 3 remediation/restoration companies. Hired our own contractor and worked with our insurance agent directly.

Our experience it was best to go with the insurers recommendation on the remediation. However, they failed to do any of the restoration work over 5 months, came out meaured estimated multiple dozens of times while i was out ot state, had my wife pick out tile 6 times. When i got back we put an end to their bullshit. Got clearance to hire a contractor and got him on schedule, there were a few hickups, but it worked out reasonable.

Keep this in mind. Insurance is not going to pay for a new bathroom. They will pay to repair a used bathroom. New tile instores is a bitch to match to old tile. So, don't expect to go up in quality levels with out either shopping the hell out of it, or chipping in the difference.

If you have any questions, give me a ring or email, we can talk through the strategy we used to get the work done.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a local company that has been around for only 4-5 years that was acting shady. I am now working with a restoration company my insurance referred me to. They have been around a long time. I am not looking to do a remodel and originally planned on doing the tile/wall work myself and would still do it if necessary at my own cost. I have done a lot of work myself in the bathroom prior with putting tile all around the walls, tub and other work. I mostly want to make sure I don’t have more leaking pipes/unseen damage. Everything else in the bathroom is the way I like it and really don’t want to change it. The tile we were looking at prior to all of this is actually inexpensive which I am looking forward to doing myself, as at least I will take the time and do it the right way.

The biggest thing I was concerned with is, does any company actually say/write something like this/about kick backs to the home owner? I can't believe they even did that.

Here is the exact response I got from them about the billing- " If you pay cash the cost will be $$, if you you choose to bill through your insurance we will give you 30% off the total bill". Why would I care/get 30% off the total bill if I am just paying my h.o. insurance deductible? Wouldn't that 30% be going to my insurance company and not me? Shouldn't they be telling that to my insurance company? It just sounded shady to me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patw,

Posts: 6904 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very shady and if things go totally sideways they would both leave you with a f-ed up house the INS co. ins't paying for (due to their shady-ness) and lien your property to compel you paying them out of pocket.

Worse yet are mitigation fraud rings where they take a small water loss and gut the home, then file the claim. INS CO. now has no way to verify if that was necessary. They are in a position to pay knowing they are probably getting screwed but have a happy customer (and no lawsuit), or investigate and deny it for failure to exhibit damaged property, have a pissed off customer holding the bag financially and probably get sued. Fun times!

Good on you for not wanting to commit fraud and listening to your gut. Even if it worked out the way they said, I bet they would have been slow and done crappy work.

If you have damages (whether you think they would be covered or not), immediately file a claim letting the INS make the coverage decision and hire a contractor you trust to do the work right.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spoke with my insurance claim adjuster later this afternoon and he said my damages are covered as the policy is written. I asked about the shady company and he said they were going to take care of that. I hope they put the screws to them. I have a reputable company now that I am using. It is amazing the stress levels involved. I am pretty good with building things and fixing repairs but some of the stuff involved is a little beyond my expertise.