SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody have a good solution for transporting hot and liquid foods?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody have a good solution for transporting hot and liquid foods? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
We often have the need to transport meals to friends and it’s always a struggle to find a good method for meals that are more “liquidy” in nature… think soups, chili, stews…

Usually I just use one of my pots with a well fitting lid and a small bungee cord, but it’s not a great solution.

Anybody have a product they use that they just love?

Posts: 6368 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have containers at home similar to these. . .

https://www.amazon.com/Lock-Re...=home-garden&sr=1-26

. . .and they work very well.

Glass if you prefer. . .

https://www.amazon.com/Superio...1&smid=AAS4S0QRLHZE6

ETA - Buying two 3-packs instead of one 6-pack of the glass containers is ~$10 less.

Rob

Posts: 3483 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
What volume?

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I have one of these, and a similar one.

I also have an insulated carrier for one of them (the larger one pictured). Great for going to potlucks.

My grandparents used to bring two large stanley thermoses and pour the contents into a crockpot once at church. I remember that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We have the glass ones similar to the 2nd post.
No leaks so far, but I also avoid microwaving with the plastic lids on, supposed to extend the life of the gaskets.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15343 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes best to not over-think-it. Flat cardboard box, lined with newspapers and some hot mitts; pot with lid secured with rubber bands, crumpled newspapers filling the space between box edge and pot provides some padding. Sit it on floor of vehicle.

If you want to insure a sealed top, or you know this is going to be an ongoing exercise, perhaps make the investment and get a large Cambro food service container, transfer the liquid for transport, then transfer back into a cooking pot to re-heat upon arrival of destination. Basic foam food service containers like Cambro transport boxes might be a good investment also.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Cambro brand food storage containers. They are quite inexpensive, but they do make other containers that sell for much more because they have a better specific job to do.

LINK to CAMBRO Company

They are very sturdy, great fitting lid. They come in different sizes to match up to your needs.

They are not insulated, but I have transported many meals to work, church, family events, etc.
Just may need to warm up the contents.

I also have moved cold foods in them too.

Here's a link to some at Sams Club, but you can get them at pretty much any restaurant supply store near you. Or Amazon. Or the innerwebz. Cambro LINK These are 4 QT, I think I got 3 in a pack, price very reasonable.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
What volume?

Good question, I forgot to include that important info.

Something big enough to transport a full family-sized recipe… I would say minimum is 4 quarts, 6 is probably better.

Though a nice spill-proof option for me to use to for work is good too.

Thanks for the leads so far, I’ll check them out.

I hadn’t thought of a new crockpot, and that makes a lot of sense, actually. Accomplished multiple goals.

Posts: 6368 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use Snapware.

I bought mine at Costco but you can buy direct.

https://www.snapware.com/

The stuff is leakproof.

You can buy it in plastic or Pyrex,
we have plastic because of its weight.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I have some of these. They were really handy for transporting hot soup to friends/family with COVID, etc. For a family of six you will need a few.

Link

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
https://www.stanley1913.com/pr...-hot-camp-crock-3-qt

https://rticoutdoors.com/Anywhere-Bowl-Set

https://www.hydroflask.com/5-q...with-lid?color=olive

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Cambro makes good stuff

We’d make hot food for hundreds of troops in the Army and transport it in those or the old-school Mermite containers.

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Have a look at the Corning Ware A-5-B 5Qt/5L casserole dish and the A-12-C lid. I am not sure about the seal of the lid. You may be able to find one at a thrift store, garage sale, or estate sale. And online, of course.

Hamilton Beach sells a crock pot carrier.

https://hamiltonbeach.com/croc...low-cooker-bag-33002

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now this looks like good options, especially the hydroflask bowl.

Some great options here, thanks everybody!!

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Whatever container you choose, I like to use a milk crate and a towel inside to secure it in from sliding and tipping over when in the back seat. Works great for take out containers too.

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
The food wrapped in towels then placed in a cooler works quite well. A foil wrapped pork butt taken off the smoker, wrapped in a bath towel and rested in a cooler will still burn your hands several hours later when you go to pull it.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tuperware, then toss it in a cooler with a towel on top.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post