SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting new Toto Drake toilets for the whole house..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Getting new Toto Drake toilets for the whole house.. Login/Join 
Member
Picture of wrightd
posted
I'm getting new Toto Drake toilets for the whole house, after what I thing was enough reasearch to come to this decision.

I hired a local plumber without much chatter I could find on the net, but he'd been in business quite a long time, with wide ranging services covering all sort of plumbing. So I figured if he could do all that, a hot water heater would be easy peasy for a plumber like that.

He installed a State Proline water heater last week, and did a really great job, real professional clean installation. That was my test before I decided to hire him to replace my toilets. His company name is the "John Doctor", so I figured he'd be good to replace the toilets as well.

He is ordering them and will schedule an install after they arrive.

I'm pretty sure I made the right choice with the Toto. I'm looking forward to not having to worry about the old ones anymore, and NO CLOGS. Yea man.

Let me know if I made a mistake or if there are any gotchas with them. I doubt it but I gotta ask, as plumbing has always been a frustrations and pita for me personally, when I couldn't afford any plumber when we started out four decades ago.

What say you.




Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
 
Posts: 10113 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
When we built 18 years ago, we put in all Toto toilets. No issues whatsoever. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. You made a wise choice, IMO.

Edited to add, I’d definitely recommend the comfort height.
 
Posts: 2213 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Run Silent
Run Deep

Picture of Patriot
posted Hide Post
Al Bundy would be proud…


_____________________________
Pledge allegiance or pack your bag!
The problem with Socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money. - Margaret Thatcher
Spread my work ethic, not my wealth
 
Posts: 7488 | Location: South East, Pa | Registered: July 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
I did the same a few yeas ago. You can't go wrong with the Toto's.
 
Posts: 712 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let me know if I made a mistake

Well OK:
quote:
after what I thing was enough reasearch to come to this decision


Otherwise, your plan seems solid. Waste no more thinging about it.
 
Posts: 14927 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Make sure it’s the 1.6 version

I installed the lower 1.2 and didn’t have enough water behind a flush to properly clear to the main sewer line. Had to snake it a couple times. Replaced with the 1.6 no problems now. Could just be my older house also

Other than that they work great

This message has been edited. Last edited by: snwghst,


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever
 
Posts: 6480 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Replaced both of our older American Standards with Toto Drake 1.6gpf elongated bowls a couple years ago. Couldn’t be happier
 
Posts: 1853 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Got a few dozen extra golf balls lying around, do ya?
 
Posts: 8141 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
My priority in a potty is enough distance to the bowl and water so the boys don't go swimming or bang on the boat ramp. Toto seems OK



SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished
 
Posts: 6726 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Let me know if I made a mistake

Well OK:
quote:
after what I thing was enough reasearch to come to this decision


Otherwise, your plan seems solid. Waste no more thinging about it.

Ha ! Yea that's what I thunked at the time before I thinged it.




Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
 
Posts: 10113 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I put three Toto Carlisle II in our house when we bought it - to the tune of $800-900/ea. (we really wanted the one-piece, skirted design.)

The toilets are exceptional, but I will say that I’m not 100% satisfied with whatever they called the fancy ceramic finish at the time. We’ve followed all the care instructions and still have stains from semi-hard water (but not THAT hard).

Whatever you do, don’t use bleach-based cleaners or tablets. It’s quite limiting, but Worth protecting the finish they do use.

-Rob




I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A
 
Posts: 16450 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I just installed a toto Drake and am very pleased with it. Only suggestion that I have is that if you have any females in the house, they go batshit bonkers over a good heated bidet toilet. Toto makes good bidets as well.
 
Posts: 2079 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
I just installed a toto Drake and am very pleased with it. Only suggestion that I have is that if you have any females in the house, they go batshit bonkers over a good heated bidet toilet. Toto makes good bidets as well.


Second this! I have 3 Toto Washlette bidet seats. Best upgrade ever.


_____________________________________
"We must not allow a mine shaft gap."
 
Posts: 2274 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What, like for every room?
 
Posts: 114939 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
One for every room with a toilet. No matter where i go in the house i have a warm seat.


_____________________________________
"We must not allow a mine shaft gap."
 
Posts: 2274 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Toto, too!


_________________________________________________________________________
“A man’s treatment of a dog is no indication of the man’s nature, but his treatment of a cat is. It is the crucial test. None but the humane treat a cat well.”
-- Mark Twain, 1902
 
Posts: 10591 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
PSA: remember to clean those filters and other maintenance. And test the gfi occasionally.




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
 
Posts: 15137 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What, like for every room?


Just around the breakfast table. Saves time and effort that way.
 
Posts: 2079 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Move to a new crib about 6 years ago, had to replace both toilets so I did a little experiment. Installed a Drake in one BR and American Standard the other. Both are low water models, I don't remember if they are 1.2 or 1.6 models, but get the 1.6 if you can. The 1.2 models do not push enough water when you do a big #2, no matter what the sales brochures push. It's kinda like the 9 vs 45 debate.

The Drake uses "cyclone" action to dispose of sh*t. Water shoots out of the side, horizontally and "spins" your remains. The logic is sound but the design uses a shallower bowl shape to promote the swirling action. So shallow it will cause guys with larger family jewels to touch the front part of the bowl while just sitting still. Also, sometimes your output is bigger than normal or more "sandy" for various reasons. The shallow bowl has real problems pushing it thru.

The American Standard (and most other manufacturers) use a traditional, deeper bowl shape. Water comes out vertically, like a waterfall. It pushes the bigger stuff easier. PLUS, the real advantage? I can dump a bucket of dirty mop water into a traditional bowl, cannot do that in a Drake (cyclone bowl) because it cannot handle the rapid, high volume from a bucket.

Also, whatever you do, get an elongated/oval shape toilet. For females, it does not matter. For men, it does. Nuff said.

Dave
 
Posts: 706 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The cyclone action does a really good job of cleaning the bowl. At least while the special surface coating is new. Have not had long enough to see if the coating will have issues like some have reported. Going to try and be mindful of not using harsh cleaners.
 
Posts: 2079 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting new Toto Drake toilets for the whole house..

© SIGforum 2026