SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who Here Can Shop Around For Electric And NG Suppliers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Here Can Shop Around For Electric And NG Suppliers? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Thankfully Pennsylvania has been this way for some years now. My electric rate is the default electric company’s (Met-Ed) and is currently 10.24 cents per KWH and my gas is about to go from my alternate suppliers rate of 53 cents per cubic foot to the gas company’s (UGI) default rate of 79 cents per cubic foot when that contract expires next month.

I haven’t been on our state’s two websites that let you shop in some time; PAPowerSwitch and PAGasSwitch but started looking last night and was actually pleasantly surprised to see there are some better rates to be had now.

I managed to find a 12 month contract for electric at 8.1 cents per KHW and one for 12 months for gas for 55 cents per cubic foot. It’s not huge savings but every little bit helps and I’m locked in, in the event that Met-Ed and UGI decide to jack their rates up even higher which is a very real possibility.

Do you guys have this ability to shop around or are you stuck with what you get from your default provider?

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Electric, yes
Gas, single provider, at least as far as I'm aware.

Edit: I believe, north of us & the area I grew up in, in SE TX, you're stuck with 1 provider [Entergy].
Houston area is all Centerpoint for elec & gas, but multi-provider for elec.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15372 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Nope. Take it or leave it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24171 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Most of Texas can shop for electricity providers

Posts: 26938 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We shop our electricity annually in Central TX. When we moved here it was a completely foreign concept, as everywhere I’ve ever lived either the city (TECO- Tampa elec. Co./Wilson) or area (Duke) provider.

We pay 14.5 cents/KWH currently.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Also PA.

I chose my electric, currently TownSquare @ 0.08870/KWH. PP&L is the supplier. I have this rate secured until the end of December.

Last time I looked at gas, my supplier UGI was the cheapest but I don't have the rate written down.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4524 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post