SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm beginning to hate Apple
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm beginning to hate Apple Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
"I don't use iCloud, never have. Never heard of keychain, no idea what that is. I do not recall ever setting verification. I did not ask for my password to be changed, either. It was disabled, some time in the recent past."

You think you don't!! Apple tries to force it on you. I've found the settings change all the time to enable iCloud for photos, notes, etc. I hate Apple almost as much as I hate Google for that reason.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
You've got nothing. Butt out. You are leaping over the facts to arrive at unwarranted conclusions.

I don't use iCloud, never have. Never heard of keychain, no idea what that is. I do not recall ever setting verification. I did not ask for my password to be changed, either. It was disabled, some time in the recent past.

Apologies first Sir. I came across wrong I guess.

Keychain, though not relevant to you it seems, is an apple app that stores all your passwords in a secure format so you can retrieve them or, the app can auto fill them if needed, and it shares them across all your apple devices.

The only reason I brought up the "KEY" thing is it should not ask you for that unless it got activated, it's optional. So sorry, ignore if not relevant.

Sorry you are having trouble, Good luck with the issue, Butting out...

TD

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:
Is 2 factor authorization enabled?

2 Factor Authorization for Apple ID

This is what mine required. No other hiccups.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Not that you need another opinion--I've had similar situations in the past, and I use a lot of apple products...and I help my 83 yo mother with the iDevices I gave her (I shall kick myself forever for this)(not really, she does pretty good with them). Invariably the problem turns out to me or connectivity to the apple servers.

FWIW.

Hope it gets resolved.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

Don't confuse your iCloud password with your master apple id password, they can be different.

I know my iCloud password. But what's my master apple id password???

I got the update message yesterday too. Since Iwas up and about, I just plugged it in to the power and updated it. I went hassle free.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Apple has the best customer service… Suggest you just give them a call and they will walk you through step-by-step what you need to do to rectify the situation.
Nah, mcuh better to complain on the interwebz than call their C/S reps. Wink

I agree - one of my daughters ipad was always slower than her sisters - they are identical, purchased from the same source, loaded the same, setup the same (all by me), but one was just slow.

Called up the Apple crew, they talked me through troubleshooting and reloaded the main OS in a safe mode, now everything is fine.

1-800-275-2273

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently had my iphone crap out in the middle of a meeting. Picked it up from the table to find it doing the "hola, bonjour, hello" thing it does when it is brand new. No amount of putting in my credentials would help. Went to the apple store and they got me sorted immediately. https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid is a good site if you can't remember your credentials. As someone mentioned, your apple id and password may not be the same as your itunes password.
And what is an Apple IIP? I am familiar with the IIE and IIGS but not the P.

Good luck with your issues.

Posts: 1029 | Location: CT | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jayhalsey:
I recently had my iphone crap out in the middle of a meeting. Picked it up from the table to find it doing the "hola, bonjour, hello" thing it does when it is brand new. No amount of putting in my credentials would help. Went to the apple store and they got me sorted immediately. https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid is a good site if you can't remember your credentials. As someone mentioned, your apple id and password may not be the same as your itunes password.
And what is an Apple IIP? I am familiar with the IIE and IIGS but not the P.

Good luck with your issues.

The IIP was the first Apple, maybe actually the second, but the first mass marketed. It was unique, with 16k of memory, built in BASIC interpreter, built in keyboard, used a cassette tape for mass storage device and a RF generator for either Ch. 3 or 4 to use your TV as a monitor. There were no hard drives, or soft ones either at first. It used a Motorola 6502 processor while most other early microprocessors used Intel chips. I bought this one in the mid-70's when they first came out. It may have been soldered together in Woz's garage. I soon added 32k of memory, eventually bought a CP/M card for an accessory socket, and 2 5.25" floppy drives. This ran me about $1500 at a time when my new Volvo cost $3900. I had a small black and white monitor, basically a TV with no tuner. I can't remember what I ended up with for a printer, but I played around for a long time trying to figure out how to modify a IBM Selectric typewriter to handle that. It wasn't easy. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II

I'm happy and relieved to announce that I managed to revive this iPad, after a lengthy, tense, error filled morning involving more than normal cursing, in amount, as well as intensity and sincerity. What an ordeal! It seems my Apple password was disabled sometime in the recent past. It had asked me to supply a new one, but none I offered met their standards. Last nights upgrade was the tipping point, it seems. Only a cynic might ponder a correlation between the disabled password and the expiration of the credit card I had in my profile to pay for apps, etc. awhile back.

It is still carping about two factor authentication. I refuse! I can't be sure I can remember one factor, let alone 2. I have no iTunes password, either.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JALLEN,

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the 10.3.1 update where it's trying to talk you into using a passcode? Just bypass it, its there under "do later" or "don't set this up right now" or something like that.

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
This morning, same thing happened to me. While staring at my at iPad wondering when the hell I authorized it to do this, it came up with this passcode thing, which I have never had (to my knowledge) and then I heard my iPhone ping. I went over to see what it was doing and it told me something about the iPad and then popped up the password code I needed to put in. It worked.
Thank God.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no iTunes password, either.

You do. You have one Apple ID/PW that is for all Apple services. There is no separate iTunes or 'Master' password. You have to use your Apple ID when you load software, that is the one used to update your software.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
iPod is all I have with Apple. I've never been a fan of their products.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
I have no iTunes password, either.

You do. You have one Apple ID/PW that is for all Apple services. There is no separate iTunes or 'Master' password. You have to use your Apple ID when you load software, that is the one used to update your software.
Correct, you can't use an Apple device without it. It's how you have purchases any apps, content, etc.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
There seems to be some confusion on this point.

There are several posts in this thread that claim there are passwords for the Apple ID and separately for iCloud.

quote:
Don't confuse your iCloud password with your master apple id password, they can be different.

I can't say since I don't use iCloud.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Correct, you can't use an Apple device without it. It's how you have purchases any apps, content, etc.

unsure of meaning of this assertion, as I have no apps, no iCloud, no iTunes, etc.
Coming in at 12 months anniversary now on iPhone 5 without Wifi/hotspots/anything I have to sign up for or give it any payment other than carrier monthly bill.

Unsure what I'm missing. Have way more available than I understand how to use already.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:

unsure of meaning of this assertion, as I have no apps, no iCloud, no iTunes, etc.
Coming in at 12 months anniversary now on iPhone 5 without Wifi/hotspots/anything I have to sign up for or give it any payment other than carrier monthly bill.

Unsure what I'm missing. Have way more available than I understand how to use already.
Well if you have no apps, no iCloud, no iTunes, it sounds like a jail broken iPhone 5. Which would explain why you don't have an iTunes account.

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I only update my ipad using itunes and connected to my desktop. When I got the ipad I read that was the safest way to update and not to let the ipad update using its wifi connection. Plus step one of the itunes update is a back up of the ipad (so any issues are easily reversed)

Sounds like you are saying you have never connected it to a computer with itunes? When you get in it, I would use the itunes backup/update feature. It will ask to trust this computer and also make you put in your 4 pin code before it updates the ipad. After that about 15 min it is done.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which would explain why you don't have an iTunes account.

Not to argue or thread drift, just don't see any advantages for my needs. There's lots of stuff out there irrelevant to my life style. Being retired has lots of advantages for simplifying.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
There seems to be some confusion on this point.

There are several posts in this thread that claim there are passwords for the Apple ID and separately for iCloud.

quote:

I can't say since I don't use iCloud.

You know the forum standard - if someone makes a post that the sky is blue you will have at least 5 people contradict and give their opinion on why it's wrong Smile

I can assure you that if you have an Apple device and it's been setup and connected that you have an Apple ID and PW and that ID and PW will allow you to use all Apple services - iTunes, iCloud, App store, iMessage, Facetime, etc. You may choose not to ever use those services, but you have an ID and PW that will allow you to sign in and use them.

Straight from Apple:
https://support.apple.com/explore/managing-apple-id

(We've been using Apple devices for about 10 years at my organization and I've been tasked with supporting them since then)

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
What I'm hearing here is a lot of "I work around the system" and "I ignore warnings/suggestions", the thing goes Tango Uniform, then

Huh...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post